Educational

Author Topic: What do you take when you have a hangover?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What do you take when you have a hangover?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »
I have never had a hangover, but I have heard that they happen partly because you become dehydrated because the alcohol acts as a diuretic, so drinking a lot of water or something like a sports drink to also replace electrolytes before you go to bed should help prevent one.  That is what I have done on the rare occasions when I have had more to drink than I should have.

Also, I think there is something in the darker colored alcoholic drinks (red wine instead of white, bourbon or rum instead of vodka, etc.) that makes hangovers more likely.

The problem with Excedrin is that it contains aspirin, which could further upset your already upset stomach; acetominophen, which could cause liver damage if taken with alcohol or if you are a heavy drinker, (more than three drinks a day); and caffeine, which will increase dehydration.

I think that Ibuprofen is a somewhat safer choice.

Ibuprofen is not safe either on the stomach front - extended use can give you stomach ulcers easily.

True but if you need to use it against hangovers THAT often, you will experience other and more serious health problems.

/thread
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Blasted

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 04:45:29 PM »
Since we're talking hangovers, have any of you ever had a can't-look-at-bright-lights-head-splitting-open one?  I haven't strangely enough.  All of my hangovers, even the worst ones have been largely tolerable/copeable.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 04:47:01 PM »
Since we're talking hangovers, have any of you ever had a can't-look-at-bright-lights-head-splitting-open one?  I haven't strangely enough.  All of my hangovers, even the worst ones have been largely tolerable/copeable.

You should have been drinking with me during my alchohol phase then.
I will never stop...

Blasted

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 04:52:08 PM »

When was yours?  :laugh:  I think I drank the most from when I was 15 up to about 17.  Now I've mellowed out somewhat.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 12:55:14 AM »

Yes, I shared a bottle of whisky with a mate while screening a couple of reels of film, many years ago. I think there was beer, too. I'm not going to try that again.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 12:57:44 AM »

No, but my old headaches were like that. I don't have them very often now. One of the few things getting better when you're getting old is that you have less migraine.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 05:37:17 AM »
Hair of the dog. Or aspirin before I fall asleep/pass out.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 12:37:40 PM »

When was yours?  :laugh:  I think I drank the most from when I was 15 up to about 17.  Now I've mellowed out somewhat.

12 - 23. Took me a while to learn.  :laugh:
I will never stop...

TheoK

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 01:05:45 PM »
I drank almost nothing before 19. Luckily my birthday is in January, so I was among the first of the people my age who could buy booze. It's 18 to drink booze in a Swedish restaurant or bar but 20 to buy in a liquor store. Then I drank a lot up to 30 something. Then I discovered the lovely opioids.  :mushie: 8)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 01:12:16 PM »
I drank almost nothing before 19. Luckily my birthday is in January, so I was among the first of the people my age who could buy booze. It's 18 to drink booze in a Swedish restaurant or bar but 20 to buy in a liquor store. Then I drank a lot up to 30 something. Then I discovered the lovely opioids.  :mushie: 8)

Guess I learned quicker than you though. :laugh:
I will never stop...

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 04:10:15 PM »
I have to drink some water before going to bed. -hic-
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline matthe

• gifted asshole
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • quit fucking with my dogs equilibrium yo
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2009, 04:07:11 AM »

No, but my old headaches were like that. I don't have them very often now. One of the few things getting better when you're getting old is that you have less migraine.

yeah that sounds more like a migrane to me. migranes can be caused by alcahol

i prefer a redbeer for hangovers. thats v8, tomato juice or clamato, mixed half and half with beer(tecate tastes best)
feix ma spellan. ai nide halp. coz i caent duet.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 08:21:38 AM »
The only hangover I've ever had was not too bad; I didn't even get a headache, just the vomiting. Anyway, I went to work the next day, right on schedule, and for some reason I craved milk. I kept sipping it all day and it was just the right thing to drink!  :thumbup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 01:44:10 AM »
If I don't smoke, I never get hangovers.

Greasy / salty food usually helps...I hate losing the next day though if I get a really bad one. Rarely happens.

Years ago, when I would have big nights out with one of my partners, the cure all was a toasted ham, cheese and tomato sandwich with some fried calamari on the side...and DVD's in the loungeroom horizontal where ever possible.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 06:32:12 AM »
If I don't smoke, I never get hangovers.

Greasy / salty food usually helps...I hate losing the next day though if I get a really bad one. Rarely happens.

Years ago, when I would have big nights out with one of my partners, the cure all was a toasted ham, cheese and tomato sandwich with some fried calamari on the side...and DVD's in the loungeroom horizontal where ever possible.

Interesting...I have heard that smokers tend to smoke more when they drink, which can make the hangover more painful. Ouch... :-\
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"