Educational

Author Topic: Weeboos  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
Re: Weeboos
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 05:12:54 PM »
I don't really enjoy Anime or Manga, the storylines are mostly shit.    The artwork can be cool though.    Weeaboos or Waponese kids are fucking annoying as hell sometimes.

What anime have you watched?

I'm an otaku. It means I'm watch a shit load of anime, and if I had the money, my room would be covered in merchandise from my favorite shows. The only reason why I haven't dressed up as a giant mongoose or bear for anime conventions is because I'm too broke to even go to one. I also have the desire to visit Japan, but for realistic reasons instead of they make anime and manga(food, photography, architecture, transportation, and I appreciate walking around late at night in highly populated cities without someone shooting me in the face).

No one has ever called me a weeaboo before, and it's probably because I avoid doing the following:

1. I don't pretend to know Japanese. I have watched anime for all 24 years of my life, and I can't even ask "Where is the bathroom?" in Japanese. Some fans seem to think that if they've watched a couple of shows repeatedly, they know everything there is to know about the language, and even the country.

2. If someone says they don't like anime, I ask them why. I don't jump down their throats, and assume that my opinion is the word of God.

3. I accept the fact that anime fans have a variety of tastes. I like Monster, some thought it was boring. I used to like Naruto, and people would jump down my throat for even saying I watched it.

4. I will only use Japanese honorifics IN JAPAN if I even use them at all. This goes for sayings like 'baka' or 'kawaii' too.

5. I will never never never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever do what this person did
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 05:17:20 PM »
FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- :rage:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:21:43 PM by RageBeoulve »
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 05:19:51 PM »
I mean I like some fucking anime, but I like those for the same reason I like explosions and beer and tits. Because they kick ass.  :thumbup:
I will never stop...

Offline ANTON_UBER_ALLES

• King of Drama
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 06:14:10 PM »
I don't even know what a weeboos is

I did skim through this thread, but I can't really be arsed

I don't like anime

If you're too lazy to look it up, why bother to make a wild arse of yourself by admitting you dont even know WTF we're talking about?  :hahaha:
To tmia pulumchva nac vatieche evistho, aomai nac murinash aule. Thuvas sheronaith themiasa avilchval aomai marashm. Sanshl selace, etanal unialastres thamuce avish fleresh holaiesh sanshl tiur il  :cthulhu:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 06:26:04 PM »
I never heard the term till one of my kids called someone that yesterday now there is a thread about it :-\
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 08:15:22 PM »
Dubs over subs, hmm. :) When Howl's Moving Castle was first screened in Sydney, I took my kids to see the dubbed version. I figured that there was no harm in hearing English voices tell a story originally penned by that famous manga author Diyana Win Jônzu. It was beautifully done, and Billy Crystal was a riot.

:indeed:

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 08:34:03 PM »
Dubs over subs, hmm. :) When Howl's Moving Castle was first screened in Sydney, I took my kids to see the dubbed version. I figured that there was no harm in hearing English voices tell a story originally penned by that famous manga author Diyana Win Jônzu. It was beautifully done, and Billy Crystal was a riot.

I go with whichever voice cast does a better job.
Fullmetal Alchemist - Dubbed
Eva - Subbed
Ghost in the Shell - I can switch back and forth because both casts did a great job in my opinion
Heat Guy J - same as GitS
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 08:50:46 PM »

Eva - Subbed
Ghost in the Shell - I can switch back and forth because both casts did a great job in my opinion

What about gurren lagaan? :o
I will never stop...

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 09:25:29 PM »

Eva - Subbed

What about gurren lagaan? :o

I think the sub wins me over because of Kamina and Viral. Yoko and younger Simon do sound better in the dub. I wish I could compare older Simon in the dub and sub, but Youtube is being extra vigilant tonight.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 10:35:40 PM »
I will never stop...

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 11:39:10 PM »

Nothing against the english voice actors who normally do the dubs, but using hollywood actors in those films really helped I think. So many dubs just sound the same these days.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 11:41:11 PM »

Eva - Subbed

The thing for me is that if I'm reading the subs, I have no idea what is going on visually and who is saying what. I makes it harder to figure out what is going on. Some recent stuff I've had to download has been subs, and its been really hard to watch. Lucky they were really good series though (IMO).

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 04:53:38 AM »

Eva - Subbed

The thing for me is that if I'm reading the subs, I have no idea what is going on visually and who is saying what. I makes it harder to figure out what is going on. Some recent stuff I've had to download has been subs, and its been really hard to watch. Lucky they were really good series though (IMO).

I had the same thing happen to me watching Paprika a few weeks ago. Starz Action played it with subtitles, but it's hard to keep up with when there's so much going on visually. I also wanted to slap the person who thought yellow subtitles would be easy on the eyes.

Paprika still

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 06:22:07 AM »
Over here in Austrailia, the main channel that plays non english material, SBS, has all it's subtitles in yellow.

The thing that annoys me, and this was in Mobile Suit Gundam 00, was where there would be a news report on the tv or something in the background while main characters where talking so there would be 2 sets of subs to read at the same time. Now that was confusing.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 11:01:37 AM »
I only care for the English voice actors if it is a really well done production...  Most of the time, I prefer subtitles.    My favorite anime is probably Metropolis. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(anime)

I just hate shows like Inuyasha, they become so cliche.    The Ghost in the Shell series was better than the damn movie imo.  I actually enjoyed the original comic.   FLCL was hilarious, as far as humorous obvious fan-service anime goes.
:P   Internets are super serious.