Author Topic: Stupid Filter  (Read 477 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Stupid Filter
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:19:16 AM »
http://stupidfilter.org/main/

Anyone heard of it?  It works on the same principles as a spam filter, but it's designed to filter comments on websites on the basis of 'indicators of stupidity', and it's really more of a grammar filter that looks for excessive or absent punctuation, poor spelling, ALL-CAPS etc.  I'm curious about what the outcome would be if people who post on Youtube, Yahoo! Answers and other popular sites started getting error messages when they tried to post a comment, saying it had failed a quality test or something like that, or if they found that their comments were being hidden Slashdot-style. 

It might be that comments would remain just as idiotic, but would become more grammatically correct and look less like they'd been typed by someone's butt-cheeks, but if people took the time to type well-formed posts rather than vomiting on their keyboards, they might also put more thought into the content of their posts.

Example of a stupid comment that I read today, which would be filtered out by this system:
Not True

Mon Jun 22 15:44:26 BST 2009 by mimansa

it:nt true .............. before 2 couple of month my grandfather had expiered due to cancer $ he had grey hair , the fact s that this report is t true it is only waste news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

TheoK

Re: Stupid Filter
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 08:14:08 AM »
We got -1 for every missed or displaced comma when I studied German at the uni.  8)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:26:07 AM »
I can't spell and grammar it's a mystery to me :laugh:  I almost didn't pass English grades 6-10 I'd have A's and B's in most everything else and a D in English
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 09:29:43 AM »
I can't spell and grammar it's a mystery to me :laugh:  I almost didn't pass English grades 6-10 I'd have A's and B's in most everything else and a D in English

Pretty much the same here.

If the kids come to me for help on their english homework, I tell them to go ask their mother  :laugh:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:40:29 AM »

Pretty much the same here.

If the kids come to me for help on their english homework, I tell them to go ask their mother  :laugh:

I get everything but the English homework as I trained them well :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 12:11:53 PM »

If they used that on youtube, there would be no comments left.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 12:17:48 PM »
http://stupidfilter.org/main/

Anyone heard of it?  It works on the same principles as a spam filter, but it's designed to filter comments on websites on the basis of 'indicators of stupidity', and it's really more of a grammar filter that looks for excessive or absent punctuation, poor spelling, ALL-CAPS etc.  I'm curious about what the outcome would be if people who post on Youtube, Yahoo! Answers and other popular sites started getting error messages when they tried to post a comment, saying it had failed a quality test or something like that, or if they found that their comments were being hidden Slashdot-style. 

It might be that comments would remain just as idiotic, but would become more grammatically correct and look less like they'd been typed by someone's butt-cheeks, but if people took the time to type well-formed posts rather than vomiting on their keyboards, they might also put more thought into the content of their posts.

Example of a stupid comment that I read today, which would be filtered out by this system:
Not True

Mon Jun 22 15:44:26 BST 2009 by mimansa

it:nt true .............. before 2 couple of month my grandfather had expiered due to cancer $ he had grey hair , the fact s that this report is t true it is only waste news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: Stupid Filter
Text is likely to be stupid.

You were right.

:laugh:

It's not that picky, either.

I ran this comment:

born blond developed brown. 40s lighter brown 50s even lighter brown. major car crash hair started thining then totally bald for 3 years ( hated that ). doctor gave me thyroid meds for low thyroid output. about 2 weeks later i looked in the mirror i thought i was going crazy - my scalp appeared blue. that was my hair starting to grow back. it came in pitch black and had the original borders. in my 60s full head of hair no grey. i bet people think i dye it ( my beard is salt and pepper ).

This was the result:

Quote from: Stupid Filter
Text is not likely to be stupid.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 12:19:45 PM »
The secret to English is to write your essays before the exam, then write up an improved version in the exam.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 07:08:23 PM »
I can't spell and grammar it's a mystery to me :laugh:  I almost didn't pass English grades 6-10 I'd have A's and B's in most everything else and a D in English

Text is not likely to be stupid.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 07:14:50 PM »
Put the chosen one in there and see what it says.  :lol:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 08:43:40 AM »
Now if they could just invent one that was portable and worked on people.  :laugh:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 08:44:27 AM »
Now if they could just invent one that was portable and worked on people.  :laugh:

Yarly. :lol:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Blasted

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 08:47:42 AM »

Sort of like head phones that would act as ear plugs whenever someone said something dumb

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 08:58:52 AM »
Put the chosen one in there and see what it says.  :lol:

I put this quote:

Quote from: TCO
Pull yer head out of your arse, you cream filled chocolate cake. AS I FUCKING SAID, I AM NOT ADVOCATING THAT SHIT, YOU FERAL BITCH.

I DON'T have a problem with the TOS either, you blind poor excuse for a gimp. What I DO have a problem with is high-moral high stepping bints like you who come on a site like this and whinge about the slightest thing to the admin, then expect to walk off scot free.

Shove it up your festering arse, you disease ridden shit.

The stupid filter said, "Text is likely to be stupid."

Blasted

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 09:00:29 AM »
I have to say, I quite like his use of the word gimp  :thumbup: