Author Topic: Lyrics, quotes, etc. that you like or are inspired by!  (Read 10559 times)

midlifeaspie

Re: Lyrics, quotes, etc. that you like or are inspired by!
« Reply #240 on: April 07, 2011, 04:10:13 PM »
like the fox
I run with the hunted and
if I’m not the happiest
man on earth I’m surely the
luckiest man
alive.

-Bukowski

(I know - the whole thing was in the poetry thread but this one is on the front of my mind often these days)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:29:07 PM by MidlifeAspie »

midlifeaspie

« Reply #241 on: April 07, 2011, 04:16:37 PM »
(I'll put a bunch in one post instead of spamming the hell out of it.  It's too hard to pick one Palahniuk.)

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.

It's so hard to forget pain, but it's even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace.

A girl calls and asks, "Does it hurt very much to die?"
Well, sweetheart, I tell her, yes, but it hurts a lot more to keep living.

In a world where billions believe their deity conceived a mortal child with a virgin human, it's stunning how little imagination most people display.

We can spend our lives letting the world tell us who we are. Sane or insane. Saints or sex addicts. Heroes or victims. Letting history tell us how good or bad we are. Letting our past decide our future. Or we can decide for ourselves. And maybe it's our job to invent something better

I admire addicts. In a world where everybody is waiting for some blind, random disaster or some sudden disease, the addict has the comfort of knowing what will most likely wait for him down the road. He's taken some control over his ultimate fate, and his addiction keeps the cause of his death from being a total surprise.

You have a choice. Live or die.
Every breath is a choice.
Every minute is a choice.
Every time you don't throw yourself down the stairs, that's a choice. Every time you don't crash your car, you re-enlist.

You are not your job, you're not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You are not your fucking khakis. You are all singing, all dancing crap of the world.

Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.

I've met God across his long walnut desk with his diplomas hanging on the wall behind him, and God asks me, "Why?" Why did I cause so much pain? Didn't I realize that each of us is a sacred, unique snowflake of special unique specialness? Can't I see how we're all manifestations of love? I look at God behind his desk, taking notes on a pad, but God's got this all wrong. We are not special. We are not crap or trash, either. We just are. We just are, and what happens just happens. And God says, "No, that's not right." Yeah. Well. Whatever. You can't teach God anything.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #242 on: April 07, 2011, 04:18:08 PM »
So it goes.

-Vonnegut
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:28:50 PM by MidlifeAspie »

midlifeaspie

« Reply #243 on: April 07, 2011, 04:19:42 PM »
who copulated ecstatic and insatiate with a bottle of

beer a sweetheart a package of cigarettes a candle and fell off the bed, and continued along
the floor and down the hall and ended fainting
on the wall with a vision of ultimate cunt and

come eluding the last gyzym of consciousness

-Allen Ginsberg
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:28:32 PM by MidlifeAspie »

midlifeaspie

« Reply #244 on: April 07, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth.

-Thoreau
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:27:44 PM by MidlifeAspie »

midlifeaspie

« Reply #245 on: April 07, 2011, 04:25:56 PM »
I listened to the bray of my heart.  I am.  I am. I am.

-Sylvia Plath

midlifeaspie

« Reply #246 on: April 07, 2011, 04:26:34 PM »
It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it

Oscar Wilde

Celticgoddess

« Reply #247 on: April 07, 2011, 04:31:06 PM »
"Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can't build on it; it's only for wallowing in.

~ Katherine Mansfield

"The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware"
~ Henry Milller

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #248 on: April 08, 2011, 07:09:18 AM »
"Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can't build on it; it's only for wallowing in.

~ Katherine Mansfield

"The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware"
~ Henry Milller

I love that Henry Miller quote.

Thanks.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Celticgoddess

« Reply #249 on: April 08, 2011, 09:16:03 PM »
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."  ~E.E. Cummings, 1955

"All my life I had been looking for something, and everywhere I turned someone tried to tell me what it was.  I accepted their answers too, though they were often in contradiction and even self-contradictory.  I was naïve.  I was looking for myself and asking everyone except myself questions which I, and only I, could answer.  It took me a long time and much painful boomeranging of my expectations to achieve a realization everyone else appears to have been born with:  that I am nobody but myself." 
~Ralph Ellison

"Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through.  Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it.  This is a kind of death." 
~Anaïs Nin

midlifeaspie

« Reply #250 on: April 08, 2011, 09:34:15 PM »
I love that cummings quote :)

Celticgoddess

« Reply #251 on: April 08, 2011, 09:36:22 PM »
Me too. I keep journals full of quotes and poetry. I guess you could call it an obsession. More of an obsession with the written word. I devour books as well, constantly reading. Helps bring my energy down. :)

midlifeaspie

« Reply #252 on: April 08, 2011, 09:39:01 PM »
Me too. I keep journals full of quotes and poetry. I guess you could call it an obsession. More of an obsession with the written word. I devour books as well, constantly reading. Helps bring my energy down. :)

I know the feeling as I share your obsession.  I have the useless English Literature degree and everything  :autism:

Celticgoddess

« Reply #253 on: April 08, 2011, 09:42:42 PM »

I know the feeling as I share your obsession.  I have the useless English Literature degree and everything  :autism:
Have you heard of The Artists Way? Google it. Taking the course starting on Monday to help me get back to my writing again. Just recently started writing for an hour a day which I used to do constantly but gave up due to busy life, kids, chaos in my head etc. I hear the course is intensive, but I'm looking forward to it.  8)

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #254 on: April 08, 2011, 09:49:51 PM »

Have you heard of The Artists Way? Google it. Taking the course starting on Monday to help me get back to my writing again. Just recently started writing for an hour a day which I used to do constantly but gave up due to busy life, kids, chaos in my head etc. I hear the course is intensive, but I'm looking forward to it.  8)

Actually, I remember another member of this site who hasn't been around for a long time, mentioning this to me. They got a lot out of it, and it helped them to focus.

Good luck with it, and I hope it gives you some balance or an anchor. I did that with my artwork, didn't do it for years, and then when I rediscovered it, it helped me sooo very much. The only one problem I had is, really, if I could do it all the time and block out the world, I would be as happy as a pig in you know what! Oh, the inconveniences of being a responsible human!

Of course, I'm sure I'll never be as amazing as Meadow!  :zoinks: