Author Topic: Anyone else disturbed by the Arizona strip-search story?  (Read 357 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
Anyone else disturbed by the Arizona strip-search story?
« on: April 23, 2009, 04:56:08 PM »
http://forums.dailyrotten.com/629/00031536/

Figures it'd end up on Rotten.  I'd heard a bit about it on NPR's morning news the day it hit the Supreme Court.  Aside from the obvious fucked-uppedness of school officials trying to do a cop's job, what I find especially disturbing was that this girl (a self-described nerd) was very likely set up as an easy scapegoat by some skank trying to save her own bacon no matter who she hurts in the process.

Please read my comment on the Daily Rotten forum.    >:D

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Anyone else disturbed by the Arizona strip-search story?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:02:50 PM »
Very I'd have to make a trip down if it happened to one of mine :litigious:  Or I could look at as paying for college by the time I was through with them.  The ACLU is on it http://www.aclu.com/drugpolicy/search/39416prs20090421.html  My membership is up soon better remember to send that check :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:39:29 PM »
I'm incensed also.

It's absolutely ridiculous to strip search a child looking for ibuprofen.

I think it would be ridiculous to even strip search a child looking for a weapon, unless you saw an obvious bulge that was the shape of a weapon or you actually had some reasonable reason to think the person had a weapon concealed in their clothes other than another student lying about the child.

I read that they can search a child's locker or even their purse or backpack for lesser reasons, but to make a child strip I think there should be a higher standard of proof and I think that even if a strip search were needed, the child's parent or guardian should be there first.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 09:11:23 PM »
Quote from: garmonbozia
... what I find especially disturbing was that this girl (a self-described nerd) was very likely set up as an easy scapegoat by some skank trying to save her own bacon no matter who she hurts in the process.

As a child, I knew kids at school who were far from innocent and quite capable of that level of treachery. I guess I'm lucky not to have been a victim of one of them.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 01:45:39 AM »
And Justice Stephen Breyer can expect years of teasing after a misstatement as he was trying to point out that it might not be unusual for children to hide things from teachers in their underwear.

"In my experience when I was 8 or 10 or 12 years old, you know, we did take our clothes off once a day, we changed for gym, OK? And in my experience, too, people did sometimes stick things in my underwear." Breyer hesitated as he realized what he said as the courtrooom erupted in laughter.

He quickly recovered and added: "Or not my underwear. Whatever. Whatever."
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 04:53:12 AM »
One of the justices (Souter) posed this hypothtical: isn't it better to strip search the kid and find nothing, instead of not stripsearching and the kid (and his friends) OD on whatever he's got ?

I could not fucking BELIEVE it. What are they going to OD on? Glue fumes? The LD-50 for cannabis is 1500 POUNDS, to be consumed w/in 15 minutes. Now I like pot, but not THAT much!

So Souter's an idiot, as is Thomas, Scalia's a fascist--wow. If Obama does one good thing, let's hope he puts some saner heads on the court. Based on his wooly economic thinking, though, I am not hopeful.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 05:30:34 AM »
One of the justices (Souter) posed this hypothtical: isn't it better to strip search the kid and find nothing, instead of not stripsearching and the kid (and his friends) OD on whatever he's got ?

I could not fucking BELIEVE it. What are they going to OD on? Glue fumes? The LD-50 for cannabis is 1500 POUNDS, to be consumed w/in 15 minutes. Now I like pot, but not THAT much!

So Souter's an idiot, as is Thomas, Scalia's a fascist--wow. If Obama does one good thing, let's hope he puts some saner heads on the court. Based on his wooly economic thinking, though, I am not hopeful.

By that logic, they should go ahead and strip search every single child every single day, so it's totally insane.

Why stop with kids?  Why not subject the Supreme Court Justices to strip searches every day?  After all, it's better to strip search them and find nothing than not to strip search them and the Supreme Court Justices all OD on whatever Souter is concealing in his underwear.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 06:21:50 AM »
And Justice Stephen Breyer can expect years of teasing after a misstatement as he was trying to point out that it might not be unusual for children to hide things from teachers in their underwear.

"In my experience when I was 8 or 10 or 12 years old, you know, we did take our clothes off once a day, we changed for gym, OK? And in my experience, too, people did sometimes stick things in my underwear." Breyer hesitated as he realized what he said as the courtrooom erupted in laughter.

That, too, is disgusting...  That they're sitting around in the Supreme Court having a laugh.  There's nothing funny about this shit at all.  I don't know how that girl can sit through all this without going insane.  The hearings must be quite humiliating.

Did the lying skank who narced on her ever end up being punished for it?  I haven't heard anything about her in all this.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 06:39:54 AM »
That's fucking NUTS.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 07:38:04 AM »

That, too, is disgusting...  That they're sitting around in the Supreme Court having a laugh.  There's nothing funny about this shit at all.  I don't know how that girl can sit through all this without going insane.  The hearings must be quite humiliating.

Did the lying skank who narced on her ever end up being punished for it?  I haven't heard anything about her in all this.

Probably not they excel at manipulating the situation.  While no strip search we had similar things with one of my sons were one of the popular kids would accuse him  of something and because he was always nervous and looked the troublemaker part they would search him leading to meltdown then me having to pick him up and yes we took him out of that school
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 02:34:02 PM »
Why stop with kids?  Why not subject the Supreme Court Justices to strip searches every day?  After all, it's better to strip search them and find nothing than not to strip search them and the Supreme Court Justices all OD on whatever Souter is concealing in his underwear.

:laugh: + that's a good idea. those geezers have such mouldy brains they probably need supervision. ::)
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde: