Author Topic: Narcotics withdrawal  (Read 706 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Narcotics withdrawal
« on: April 14, 2009, 03:39:59 PM »
save the emo for the other thread.

just had back surgery that was so successful that it is likely i will not need the narcotic painkillers i have been on for the past two years. on the other hand, i have manged the meds so well that there is never any question when i ask for them.

i'm looking at maybe two weeks of severe depression and other physical symptoms when i start withdrawing. i have lots of other lovely medications that could mitigate the symptoms but then i will be dependent on those as well.

i can see why its so difficult to give up heroin. i have ADHD so forget to take the painkillers for up to 24 hours sometimes. sometimes the only thing that reminds me is the pain (duhhh, why is my back hurting so much?) and the withdrawal symptoms, that's how i know about them. but then when i take the medication again, this kind of peace and well-being descends over me. in the past couple of weeks before the surgery when i was working extra hours i had extra pain and limited breakthrough meds so i took the morphine that i was given a year and a half ago when i first started breaking things.

i stopped taking the pain meds yesterday when i got out of the hospital because i wanted to see if the pain was gone. it is, except for some aching at the surgery site. there would probably be more if i had gone to work today.

so i am sitting here no more than uncomfortable and my mind is telling me that i could start taking them again and be comfortable and just taper off.
its been 27 hours. i can't remember if i woke up and took something in the wee hours of the night. there are parts of me weak enough to do that.

eh - what have i to complain about? what i was taking isn't more than a couple/three hits of heroin a day.
lying to myself and telling me that i will get my cognitive capabilities back this way.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Narcotics withdrawal
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 04:14:07 PM »
Taper off  them slowly if you have enough.  Good luck
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline key Stats

• Frequent Poster
  • Unermuedlich Aufwiegelung
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 04:27:12 PM »
Harsh. Good luck
"The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds." Ronald David Laing

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 04:56:52 PM »
If you can, it might be best to slowly take less and less each day than to suddenly stop taking them.

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 06:24:59 PM »
Good luck

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 06:29:31 PM »
Slow withdrawl is always better than cold turkey. ALWAYS. "A word to the wise guy...."
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 06:46:18 PM »
lol after all the patients i have seen doing narcotics withdrawal i have to look up the number of days i am going to go through this.

i suppose i should have called my doctor and asked to taper off but i was so happy to be out of pain i thought i could do it.

so far got ghost pains, burning sensations, sweats, diarrhea, feel like shit on toast (god help me i can't help but think vegemite on toast...), don't feel like getting up and now freezing because i had to get up to piss and the sweat evaporated. feel a mean temper coming on too. irritable and my stomach hurts and i feel like taking some oxy just to get in a good mood again.

i don't know how to taper off because its time release to begin with and i made them give me the lowest dose so that i could be alert enough to drive. i take oxycontin and its counterpart oxycodone is said to be far more addicting so it would be stupid to take that to withdraw. not only that it's not time release which means i would have to remember to take it every 4 - 6 hours. wonder if i am an addictive personality after all. though that could be the cravings.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 07:00:29 PM »
"A word to the wise guy...."

:lol:

anyway thanks everyone for the good wishes but i was wondering if anybody did this before and how was it - or  :P if anyone decided to stay addicted for just a little (or long) while longer.
most of the patients i saw couldn't get off without going to a detox.
i suppose i see that as a challenge.

on the other hand, if i went to a detox i would have the company of many of my clients...

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 07:20:25 PM »
Good luck
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline key Stats

• Frequent Poster
  • Unermuedlich Aufwiegelung
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:45:03 PM »
lol after all the patients i have seen doing narcotics withdrawal i have to look up the number of days i am going to go through this.

i suppose i should have called my doctor and asked to taper off but i was so happy to be out of pain i thought i could do it.

so far got ghost pains, burning sensations, sweats, diarrhea, feel like shit on toast (god help me i can't help but think vegemite on toast...), don't feel like getting up and now freezing because i had to get up to piss and the sweat evaporated. feel a mean temper coming on too. irritable and my stomach hurts and i feel like taking some oxy just to get in a good mood again.

i don't know how to taper off because its time release to begin with and i made them give me the lowest dose so that i could be alert enough to drive. i take oxycontin and its counterpart oxycodone is said to be far more addicting so it would be stupid to take that to withdraw. not only that it's not time release which means i would have to remember to take it every 4 - 6 hours. wonder if i am an addictive personality after all. though that could be the cravings.

Crush the tablets up - they'll 'release' a bit faster and phone your doctor and insist on a course of meds to wean you off (imsho) - no point in torturing yourself - your doctor should have sorted you out in the first place imo - I guess they haven't had the experience personally  ::)

I had to take tramadol and occasionally morphine for just 3 months once and the 'raver's flu' from that was bad enough.. 2 years is a long time - get the puritanical buggers to help you out. 2c
"The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds." Ronald David Laing

P7PSP

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 06:48:07 AM »
"A word to the wise guy...."

:lol:

anyway thanks everyone for the good wishes but i was wondering if anybody did this before and how was it - or  :P if anyone decided to stay addicted for just a little (or long) while longer.
most of the patients i saw couldn't get off without going to a detox.
i suppose i see that as a challenge.

on the other hand, if i went to a detox i would have the company of many of my clients...
A long time ago I was taking Pentazocina, Dexedrine, Valium and liquor on a regular basis for about 4 months, then my connection for the Valium and Dexedrine got popped and the connection for the Pentazocina had to go to Barcelona for a while. So I had to make do with alcohol and hashish and for 5 or 6 weeks no matter how much or little booze I drank I was real keyed up and irritable and having horrendous nightmares. I don't know if that was a form of withdrawal or not, but it sure sucked. I hope your withdrawal is manageable.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 11:29:25 AM »
Ughh.

The only ones I've seen that had a fairly easy time of going off of them where the ones that were prescribed meds to help with it.

This seems to be the one with the best results from what I've heard. 

http://www.suboxone-directory.com/

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 01:53:42 PM »
torture's not so bad today.

dehydrated from yesterday and when i got hydrated started running to the wc again. slept all day so far and haven't eaten more than breakfast. yesterday i didn't have any meal at all, just a leftover salad in my room. to make matters worse my egg had two yolks which for some reason really wierded me out.

i was hallucinating a little (lack of sleep, i think) before i started and still hallucinating thinking people are walking by me.
sugar cravings too - but the candy gave me a bad stomach ache and everything tasted like chemicals.

my brain is telling me i could taper off myself.
i am not calling the doctor because i plan on hoarding what i have in the event i break something else before i get hooked up with a doc in florida. i have brittle bones all over. when the doc sees me coming he writes a script for pain meds instead of making the sign of the cross.

:P you should have seen them when i broke my sternum: 80mg oxycontin three times a day plus a dilaudid drip of 1 mg every 15 minutes. the nurses were pushing the button so often i had to get the doc to make them stop.

my sternum still hurts because its in two pieces and sometimes they rub, but i think i can get them to give me oxycodone for that. naproxen works better but i am not allowed to take it because i had kidney failure.

#Dancewithgarygopher

TheoK

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 02:07:33 PM »
Oxycodone is BRAVE! :arrr:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 02:40:12 PM »
now i wonder just how long this stuff takes to get out of your system because my back hurts.

can't wait to see what it looks like after 10 hours of work tonight...

#Dancewithgarygopher