Educational

Author Topic: Peanut butter  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Peanut butter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 04:01:42 PM »
It's one of the most popular foods in our house.  We go though giant tubs of it weekly
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 05:06:48 PM »
It's one of my sons(nick) favourite spreads but he can't have it in his school lunch anymore because they banned it at school because of the kids with peanut allergies.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 05:20:35 PM »
It's one of my sons(nick) favourite spreads but he can't have it in his school lunch anymore because they banned it at school because of the kids with peanut allergies.

The have peanut free classes and tables in the lunch rooms here.  I think they'd try and ban it like that here too but it's just too popular.  Also where did all these peanut allergy kids come from anyway there was nothing like this when I was young :-\
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 06:59:39 PM »

The have peanut free classes and tables in the lunch rooms here.  I think they'd try and ban it like that here too but it's just too popular.  Also where did all these peanut allergy kids come from anyway there was nothing like this when I was young :-\

Yeah, I've often wondered this too. Strange.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 07:34:08 PM »
I looked into this a bit, because there is a boy at my son's school with this allergy. They stopped offering PBJ as a snack or a lunch option at their school also. As usuall, most of the best poop is right there on wiki ...

According to wikipedia, Peanut allergy is not common.

It is estimated to affect 0.4-0.6% of the population.

... and I just love this:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:37:42 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 07:45:07 PM »
So it's just a case of being over reported in the media perhaps?

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »
Spot on, LP.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 08:51:05 PM »
<shakes fist at media> Damn you media!!!

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 10:06:17 PM »
Boards of education, for whatever peculiar reason, don't like the idea of some kid carking it on the school premises because he was chewing on the end of his pencil after repeatedly stabbing it into his classmate's lunch sandwich or some-damn-thing. Seem to feel it's bad publicity, who knows? Marvelous, though, how the problem disappears as if by magic once they're in Year 7 and going to high school.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 10:10:07 PM »
See what I don't get is that if you have a deadly peanut allergy, I'm sure you would be aware of how you need to keep away from other peoples food. If not then you are too stupid to live.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 10:10:27 PM »

Add to this the fact that the "politically correct"  nanny world we live in is run by the minority dejour with the squeakiest wheel. We can't possibly endanger any one or offend anyone, except the vast majority.

Hey, how about the option of telling the allergic kid NOT to eat peanuts?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 10:14:54 PM »

Add to this the fact that the "politically correct"  nanny world we live in is run by the minority dejour with the squeakiest wheel. We can't possibly endanger any one or offend anyone, except the vast majority.

Maybe the peanut industry needs to start suing.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 10:31:41 PM »
I remember the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at school always looked so disgusting. I had to bring my own.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 11:11:14 PM »

The problem is that some kids are so severely allergic to peanuts that if they breathe peanut, even in that tiny an amount, they go into anaphylactic shock.

At my daughter's former public elementary school, they had peanut-free zones and IIRC, there were eight kids at her school who were severely allergic to peanuts. 

I had to pack a lunch for her anyway because they had some sort of corn in almost every main dish they served.  Even on Domino Pizza Fridays, Domino Pizzas have cornmeal in the pizza crust.  Their chicken nuggets had cornmeal in the breading.  They had a deli sandwich on the menu some days and the roll they typically used was multigrain with corn in it, although I could go in ahead of time and request they use a different roll for her sandwich.  If she wanted to eat in the cafeteria, which she usually wanted to do on macaroni and cheese days, I had to go check out the ingredients in every item first.  I think I put $20 in her lunch account at the beginning of the year and there was still money left at the end of the year.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 11:20:16 PM »
See, things in Australia are different. Most kids bring their own lunch to school and there aren't big cafeterias like in the US. We usually have a small canteen or lunch orders.