Author Topic: Blue lights lowering crime rates and suicides  (Read 556 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Blue lights lowering crime rates and suicides
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:50:52 AM »
I found this article and remembered Peter's blue lights.

An intriguing, anecdotal finding was recently reported by some news outlets that the implementation of blue-colored streetlights has reduced both crime and suicides:

Glasgow, Scotland, introduced blue street lighting to improve the city’s landscape in 2000. Afterward, the number of crimes in areas illuminated in blue noticeably decreased.

The Nara, Japan, prefectural police set up blue street lights in the prefecture in 2005, and found the number of crimes decreased by about 9 percent in blue-illuminated neighborhoods. Many other areas nationwide have followed suit.

Keihin Electric Express Railway Co. changed the color of eight lights on the ends of platforms at Gumyoji Station in Yokohama, Japan, in February.
To read more:
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2008/12/13/can-blue-colored-light-prevent-suicide/
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: Blue lights lowering crime rates and suicides
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:15:40 AM »
I wonder what happens when they use red lights.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 03:27:46 AM »
 :laugh:

A 9% increase in the incidents of prostitution?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 03:49:28 AM »
Someone commented:

When they were making the film Cube they discovered that the actors felt angry/unhappy in the red rooms and relaxed in the blue rooms. It’s a fairly fundamental difference, but it would be useful to know what the effect of white lighting would be in preference to yellow lights.

I remember going to some public toilets where the lights in there were blue on purpose, supposedly to stop people injecting drugs because they wouldn't be able to find a vein.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 04:08:28 AM »
Yellow LPS street lights have a mild negative effect on my mood.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 04:44:56 AM »
Someone commented:

When they were making the film Cube they discovered that the actors felt angry/unhappy in the red rooms and relaxed in the blue rooms. It’s a fairly fundamental difference, but it would be useful to know what the effect of white lighting would be in preference to yellow lights.

I remember going to some public toilets where the lights in there were blue on purpose, supposedly to stop people injecting drugs because they wouldn't be able to find a vein.

i love the cube. differently lit rooms appeal to me.

i like blue lights, they calm me down. i like red lights too though, a friend of mine had red lights in her room and it affected me in a positive way. i even wanted similar lights in my room, i still do. can't decide between red and blue though now that i've seen this, maybe i should choose blue if it is more calming. i don't need more anxiety in my life. then again calming is one thing, red lights might be less melancholy.

yellow lights are horrible.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:48:07 AM by SovaNu »
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 07:46:49 PM »
Interesting. At this old roller skating rink we used to go to they had to put blue lights in the bathrooms. Somthing that had to do to prevent people from doing heroin.
Park.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 07:49:29 PM »
you don't see veins.

maybe the blue light area has less drug addicts and thus less crime.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

sinsboldly

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »
pondering rollerskating on heroin. . .

Merle

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 07:00:44 AM »

Merle
What, you don't think that sounds like the BEST IDEA EVER???
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 08:00:41 AM »
when you're on heroin rollers are boring, rather just enjoyyyyy :mushie: then again i'm very lazy.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 08:16:46 AM »

Merle
What, you don't think that sounds like the BEST IDEA EVER???

At least it wouldn't hurt when you fell :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 11:45:48 AM »
Its harder to imagine it would decrease suicide, unless you think outside the box.
Blue is supposed to depress, maybe it depresses overly excited personalities. Maybe its these same personalites that are vunerable to depression, by way of overstimulation.
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 11:46:21 AM »
It sounds cool, though, and matches my hair ;D
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 02:45:18 PM »
blue?

i want blue lights.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar