Educational

Author Topic: An Eye for an Eye?  (Read 707 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
An Eye for an Eye?
« on: February 20, 2009, 01:58:05 PM »
A woman in Iran wants the man who blinded her in an acid attack to be blinded himself and it looks like he will be soon.

Some human rights advocates are outraged that he will be punished in this way, but what about the victim? 

If you click on the link, you can see the woman's before and after pictures and see how horrible a thing he did to her.

Ameneh Bahrami is certain that one day she'll meet someone, fall in love and get married. But when her wedding day comes, her husband won't see her eyes, and she won't see her husband. Bahrami is blind, the victim of an acid attack by a spurned suitor.

If she gets her way, her attacker will suffer the same fate. The 31-year-old Iranian is demanding the ancient punishment of "an eye for an eye," and, in accordance with Islamic law, she wants to blind Majid Movahedi, the man who blinded her.

"I don't want to blind him for revenge," Bahrami said in her parents' Tehran apartment. "I'm doing this to prevent it from happening to someone else."

Please follow the link if you want to see the whole article.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: An Eye for an Eye?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 02:22:36 PM »
I've read about it. Awful. I'm torn because I think he doesn't deserve any better, but I also think that if we allow that sort of punishment we are no better than the criminals.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 02:34:55 PM »
Repeating the action doesn't change the fact that she is blind.
Just because he has no  eye, doesn't mean he can't do it again.  Pay someone else, or habituate to your new position, then repeat.
Simple punishment like that doesn't make you think, mental exercise does generalize to other areas of your life.  This hurtful person could be  turned around to benefit.

This maybe something I could fix, but I don't feel guilt, because its out of my hands.  It doesn't change what already happened. 
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 02:51:52 PM »
It is in Iran, where an "eye for an eye" is part of the Sharia law.

I'm of two minds here, too. 

I understand that an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind, but then I think of the poor woman being stalked by her attacker for years and then blinded and disfigured with acid thrown in her face and then I think that it is fair and just that he gave up his rights when he deprived her of hers.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 03:04:53 PM »
Let him rot in jail this won't get her eyes back or prevent him from doing it
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:29:06 PM »
I don't know.

As much bother as my senses seem to give me some days, I'd have to say that I'd rather someone kill me than rob me of my sight, especially in such a way as this was done.

Personally, if it was myself, and given the choice, I very much doubt I would be able to get past my anger to show much compassion to the person who did it.  :-\

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 03:33:46 PM »
I've always been terrified for losing my eyesight. In her position I suspect I'd want to rob him of his, too.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 03:57:55 PM »
 :indeed:

I don't know.

As much bother as my senses seem to give me some days, I'd have to say that I'd rather someone kill me than rob me of my sight, especially in such a way as this was done.

Personally, if it was myself, and given the choice, I very much doubt I would be able to get past my anger to show much compassion to the person who did it.  :-\

:indeed:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 04:03:57 PM »
I don't view mutilation as a socially constructive form of jurisprudence, but as long as they're hanging homosexuals, stoning rape victims and cutting the hands off of thieves, I've no objection to them showing some consistency in the application of their notion of justice by blinding someone who assaulted and blinded another person.  If Iranian law was applied in a fair and even manner, rather than being selectively enforced against 'undesirables', changes to the law itself would become more likely, since those in a position to effect change would no longer be shielded from it.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 04:07:20 PM »
Indeed. Their laws still focus on the masses rather than anyone in a position of any power.

- Albert Einstein

P7PSP

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 06:23:35 PM »
Let the jerk reap what he sowed.

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 01:01:58 PM »
It is in Iran, where an "eye for an eye" is part of the Sharia law.

I'm of two minds here, too. 

I understand that an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind, but then I think of the poor woman being stalked by her attacker for years and then blinded and disfigured with acid thrown in her face and then I think that it is fair and just that he gave up his rights when he deprived her of hers.

I guess its just the way I am, my mom kind of ruined my life, yet I forgave her.  I see myself as a strong potentially capable person, and it helps me feel even in times like these.

Sometimes I get pissed, and displace some of my feelings because it reminds me of something of my own.  I come to some kind of order though, eventually, and Its in a  good mood.  My mom robbed me of my sight in a way, but I still forgive her.  I doesn't do me any good to hold on to such feelings, and it prevents me from helping the problem to.

I am not trying to make a statement about you, you sound like a sweet nice person, and I still able to say that when I haven't ate much today at all, and worked out 2 times.  Again, I am not trying to say anything bad,  I am just trying to show you how serious about what I am saying.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 01:10:01 PM by ALLDAYGLOWRANDY »
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 01:36:02 PM »
Sad to say it, but if  I couldn't help the man, I might be tempted to killing him or take his eyes out.  I would maybe let him make the choice.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 02:07:24 PM »

How about, since we can not help the person who has permanently lost her eyesight, we make the perpetrator of such crimes responsible for the well being of as many others as they are capable. Consider the purposeful life changing attack on another as a near-capital offense and make it so that the person who has committed such a crime must give up any healthy organs to the needs of society's more deserving. We take from the ones who have no regard for others, to make the way easier for others who have need.

That criminal has literally pounds of usable liver tissue, at least two eyes, cochlear tissues, a lung, a kidney, bone marrow, larynx, several square feet of skin and scalp tissue, blood cells (both kinds) and plasma to extract ...

We could likely find new ways of using the entire body and only keeping the least amount of the criminal's body tissues alive as donor material for those who have the need.

I think he deserves to be a donor.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

P7PSP

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 02:10:26 PM »

How about, since we can not help the person who has permanently lost her eyesight, we make the perpetrator of such crimes responsible for the well being of as many others as they are capable. Consider the purposeful life changing attack on another as a near-capital offense and make it so that the person who has committed such a crime must give up any healthy organs to the needs of society's more deserving. We take from the ones who have no regard for others, to make the way easier for others who have need.

That criminal has literally pounds of usable liver tissue, at least two eyes, cochlear tissues, a lung, a kidney, bone marrow, larynx, several square feet of skin and scalp tissue, blood cells (both kinds) and plasma to extract ...

We could likely find new ways of using the entire body and only keeping the least amount of the criminal's body tissues alive as donor material for those who have the need.

I think he deserves to be a donor.
Brilliant concept.  :plus: