Educational

Author Topic: composite video audio problem  (Read 825 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
composite video audio problem
« on: February 20, 2009, 04:42:54 AM »
I got a new monitor for my computer yesterday, and it has a composite video port, which is great, since it means I can play my SNES and N64 on it, but it doesn't have audio input ports for the white and red RVA jacks that provide the left and right sound channels (and doesn't have speakers or audio output ports, for that matter), so I was wondering if anyone knew a reasonably elegant way for me to get audio from my games.  I have an old composite CRT monitor that takes the left and right audio and outputs it through a headphone jack, but running it alongside my flashy new LCD just so that I can get audio isn't what I'd consider an elegant solution.  Is there some kind of adapter that would take the left and right composite audio channels and output it to a port that I could plug my earphones into?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: composite video audio problem
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 04:46:23 AM »
Never mind; I think I found just the thing:  http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductID=794251
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 05:10:05 AM »
Bastards want to charge me £6.99 for shipping on a £2.99 part, with £1.50 in VAT on top of it all.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 05:13:48 AM »
Another site is charging £4.04 for it and requires me to register an account before it'll even tell me what the shipping is.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 09:44:46 AM »
Shipping is almost always a rip off
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 01:10:42 PM »
Shipping is almost always a rip off

:agreed:

I had to pay nearly as much money for shipping my Christmas presents as it cost to buy them.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 02:24:22 PM »
It will fix your problem, though. I'd buy a decent set of speakers instead, though.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 03:45:20 PM »
It will fix your problem, though. I'd buy a decent set of speakers instead, though.

I prefer earphones; it's more private (I can hear the neighbours speaking and moving around in their bedroom through the shared wall, and don't like people to be able to hear what I'm up to), and it means I don't annoy mum/the neighbours at night.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »
Ah, yes, I see your point. I hope you have a decent set of earphones, then. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 04:28:29 PM »
I have Sennheiser CX-95's; I got them a while ago, after I got fed up with using cheap ones that gave lousy sound and always developed connection faults or some other problem after a month or two of use.  So far I've been very happy with them, though they'd be even nicer if my malfunctioning northbridge didn't send irritating interference through the soundcard on my comp.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 09:00:05 AM »
Never mind; I think I found just the thing:  http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductID=794251

You do remember that the AV out from those consoles are line level only, you would need some sort of amp with a volume control as well. Get that adaptor and also get some Logitech R20's if you can find them. They usually go much cheaper than the recommended retail price. Logitech say they are $49.95AUD when I can get them for $29AUD. I gave a set each to my eldest sons for their PCs and they have been great for that.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 09:14:21 AM »
I have Sennheiser CX-95's; I got them a while ago, after I got fed up with using cheap ones that gave lousy sound and always developed connection faults or some other problem after a month or two of use.  So far I've been very happy with them, though they'd be even nicer if my malfunctioning northbridge didn't send irritating interference through the soundcard on my comp.

Oh yes, those are v nice. :thumbup:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 10:51:41 AM »

You do remember that the AV out from those consoles are line level only, you would need some sort of amp with a volume control as well. Get that adaptor and also get some Logitech R20's if you can find them. They usually go much cheaper than the recommended retail price. Logitech say they are $49.95AUD when I can get them for $29AUD. I gave a set each to my eldest sons for their PCs and they have been great for that.

I've got something similar packed away in the loft that I can set up.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 01:08:34 AM »

I've got something similar packed away in the loft that I can set up.

Hoarding rules!  :green: