Educational

Author Topic: hypermobility  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
hypermobility
« on: February 05, 2009, 07:34:58 PM »
This is one of the tentative Dx they want to check out more.  I have read about it and the hyper mobility  is something I have always had and assumed everyone did. Now in my 40's it's still there to a point but I am getting more joint pain.  anybody else any thoughts
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: hypermobility
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:11:24 PM »
Is this like being double jointed?

Offline Tristeza

• Official Outsider of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:18:06 PM »
i have this in my low back - makes my hips pop out of alignment and it hurts like hell.

hats off to the man on top of the world
come crawl up here baby, and we can watch this damn thing turn

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:06:35 AM »

Yes I have been described as having no bones when I was younger I could fit into the tightest places.  In collage I'd beat people I could touch my fingers to the back of my hand or put my hand flat on the ground without bending my knees.  Now still more flexible than most my knees click when I walk and I think I am getting much more sore

George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:23:03 AM »
I don't have this, unless it could be a characteristic of certain joints and not others. It seems that all my "rotating joints" (thumb, hip, shoulder) and my "compound joints" (wrists, ankles) have always been quite a bit more limber and flexible than normal.
Not true of my non-rotating joints. Those seem to be less flexible than normal - not only in stiffness, but in range of movement.

I've seen people hold up their hands and just with the muscles of the one hand, flex their finger joints completely tight and into a little tightly curled finger balls. I can not do this. Some people can touch their wrist to their shoulder - no way I could ever do that. My first finger joint, next to my palm, I can flex it forward by itself slightly past the ninety degree point, but the end joints on my fingers, I can not. If I really press my fingers into a little ball with my other hand, I still can not get the end joint to flex to a ninety degree angle. Opening my hand and stretching my fingers backward, I can achieve just a slight backward arch, but even pushing my fingers really hard they will not bend backwards, not even when I push hard enough that I am in fear of dislocating them. They simply do not flex that much.

As far as the my other muscles go, I have been practicing an almost daily stretching routine since I was in my early twenties, just to remain limber. It causes me to have quite a bit of stiffness if I lay off for too long. It's just another thing I have to do for my own well being. I also feel a lot better after doing it, even those times when I have to force it on myself.

I won't be doing much of that for a while. I plan to keep the dust off my bag with my feet though.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 08:25:29 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 02:52:02 PM »

Yes I have been described as having no bones when I was younger I could fit into the tightest places.  In collage I'd beat people I could touch my fingers to the back of my hand or put my hand flat on the ground without bending my knees.  Now still more flexible than most my knees click when I walk and I think I am getting much more sore

I used to freak people in ROTC out while saluting because my fingers bent backward in a curve when I tried to straighten them, but they don't bend that far back anymore.

I could never bend my fingers as far back as you could, but I can still put my hands flat on the ground without bending my knees.

I've seen people hold up their hands and just with the muscles of the one hand, flex their finger joints completely tight and into a little tightly curled finger balls. I can not do this. Some people can touch their wrist to their shoulder - no way I could ever do that.

I can do both of those things.

I can't bend the distal joints of my fingers without bending the middle ones, though.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 03:26:42 PM »
I only brought it up as my daughter's doc said she might have it.  It was fun when young but now I seem to be paying the price :-\

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 11:45:19 PM »
My knees do hurt if I do too much walking down steps or hills.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 12:21:01 AM »
I can't bend the distal joints of my fingers without bending the middle ones, though.
That one is about all I can do. I am the most inflexible person I know.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 03:53:11 AM »
I can bend my arms backwards and make them look lie there broken. I'm double jointed at the elbows.
Park.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 10:04:24 AM »
I am very flexible.   I am double jointed in my fingers and I can cross my elbows behind my back.    I can put my foot in my mouth too.  :P
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 01:01:50 PM »
I am very flexible.   I am double jointed in my fingers and I can cross my elbows behind my back.    I can put my foot in my mouth too.  :P

Your whole foot?

That's so cool!

:o

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 02:30:05 PM »

No, it's not really cool - more like sort of gross, but the real question is ...

Don't "THINK,"  Alex - answer quickly!

Can you suck your own dick?

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 11:24:15 PM »
i used to be flexible. now i am creaky. :-\
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »

Your whole foot?

That's so cool!

:o
My mouth isn't big enough for my entire foot lol.   I was kinda joking.
:P   Internets are super serious.