Author Topic: Alex Plank is getting sued...  (Read 9209 times)

duncvis

Re: Alex Plank is getting sued...
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2009, 12:04:13 PM »
:hahaha:

it isn't a culture. its a variable (dependent on personality) response to neurological difference.

And Islam isn't a culture, it's superstition.

that opinion isn't really a rebuttal of my point though, is it?

TheoK

« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2009, 12:05:04 PM »

it isn't a culture. its a variable (dependent on personality) response to neurological difference.

What a culture is is pretty arbitrary.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2009, 12:09:07 PM »

:wanker:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2009, 12:10:47 PM »

You'd like it to be. Not the same, though, is it?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2009, 12:11:20 PM »

:wanker:

Isn't it?

TheoK

« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2009, 12:12:48 PM »

You'd like it to be. Not the same, though, is it?

If we were like those fucking towelheads, we'd get attention. They attack Israel and when Israel defends itself, people pity the towelheads(!)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2009, 12:19:09 PM »
Change the bloody record, will you? Do you seriously expect anyone to take anything you say seriously? Ever?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2009, 12:24:30 PM »
Cultural genocide? Care to elaborate?
I don't really have time to write an essay, but I am happy to sketch it out. Essentially what we have here is a group of people (ourselves) are forced to behave in a certain manner that we would otherwise would not by NT society and their bullying / browbeating. I really don't need to go further, I am sure Lit will be more direct here.

Do you know what "genocide" means?
Tibet.

Try again.
Check out what "cultural genocide" means - its different to plain vanilla "genocide".

OK. Let's use Wikipedia's definition:

Cultural genocide is a term used to describe the deliberate destruction of the cultural heritage of a people or nation for political, military, religious, ideological, ethnical, or racial reasons.

Care to try again? Or explain why you think there is a *deliberate* action going on to destroy our "cultural heritage". Then explain what our cultural heritage is.

You're not going to be taken seriously unless you can demonstrate at least a basic coherency here, you know.
The $1 billion which Bush signed off on for Autism research was not done for political reasons? There are of course other examples - remember every place has its politics, even a classroom. But if you want a religious example - look at for example the "Prayer for Autism" online group, or possibly the Jett Travolta stuff (though in the latter case we can't be sure).

TheoK

« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2009, 12:25:18 PM »
You can't expect anyone indirectly voting for the FRA law to believe in anything.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2009, 12:28:37 PM »
cultural genocide would imply a) that we have a distinct culture, and that b) there is a deliberate attempt to extinguish it. so it is still bollocks, and the inclusion of the emotive term 'genocide' invites a deliberate comparison with the slaughter of millions. so yes, it is hysterical. And I already know what the term 'cultural genocide' means, ta - do you?
So ways of thinking, behaving, acting and so on are not parts of culture.

As for the millions of people - yes there are probably millions of people on the spectrum leading some pretty miserable lives thanks to society. There are also quite a fair few killing themselves as a result - might want to include that into your calculations.

We have no uniformly distinct ways of thinking, behaving, acting and so on - I like the expression someone used, 'if you've met one aspie, you've seen... one aspie'. we have no shared belief, heritage, way of life, etc, which would fairly be characterised as culture. All we share are some coping mechanisms and difficulties/differences in cognition and sensory processing. Hardly a culture.
When someone gets around to defining Aspie properly it would be more easier to show a culture. But if you want an example - think at how much easily Aspies have been able to get to grip with computers - maybe its because it was Aspie's by and large who came up with the logic etc structure. However there are more subtle ones - I can usually tell who in the room is on the spectrum and often get confirmed as right.
And I see you completely ignored addressing the word 'deliberate', even if one were to accept at face value the prospect of millions of miserable autistics, whose misery were caused by society and not in part by the difficulties posed by their disability in acheiving their personal objectives (e.g. romance, sustainable employment).
The disability is society.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2009, 12:39:12 PM »
Age or lack of it. Plus before I set down on such a path I want to be fully prepared.
Age isn't stopping Alex. If anyone is going to compete with him, they can't wait.
Once he gets enough exposure all the skeletons he has in his cupboard will pop out - if he gets anywhere too high then it will be his own demise. He is not Mandelson; far from it. Its easier to wait for him to fall.
I get enough people asking for my own advice on various things already.
Not here online, you don't. Even if your persuasive skills are somehow much better in person than online (I don't know, but I could buy it), surely it makes more sense to change your technique once you're in an environment where it's no longer working.
The last thing I want now is a big group of followers, it is not my time. Once you become liable for a group of people it takes a serious amount of effort to deal with them. Remember about power needing to be maintained - I certainly don't want any before its time if I can help it.
Subtlely pointing them in the right direction, a quiet word in the ear to look up a few well chosen things and then come back and ask for more. The internet has an obvious flaw in that its in general an awful lot harder to persuade people of things than in person. Plus to actually achieve anything meaningful, we need a physical offline movement, so its easier to build it offline (using the internet perhaps as a media tool).
Well, good luck finding enough aspies congregated in one area to make it work. How many have you found at your college? How well are they organized?
One problem, although I know who they are mostly - approaching most of them is difficult without publically giving up the pretence that I am an NT. Though I have had conversations with a few of them about other stuff, some seem shall we say less than happy.

Though the easiest way would be to exploit the offline networks that exist quite a bit already, namely the NAS in the UK which has an annual budget of £70m just so you get an idea of its size.
This is meaningless. Your abrasive and alienating demeanor has nothing to do with Tibet.
The cultural genocide argument does.
Well, sorry to say, but I'm not going to call what's happening to autistics a cultural genocide, and no amount of repeating the argument will change that.
But this is part of how you go wrong - thinking that if you just keep saying the same thing, you'll eventually be listened to, long after people have written you off and you're wasting your breath on idiots who like to poke buttons just for the trolling thrill. You've got to make more attempt to meet people on their own ground.
Call it what you like for now, you might want to change your mind in a few years.

Though the repeating strategy is the best one in politics, the reason for example US senators have had a 96% reelection rate is because they get their name repeated everywhere in the media for their term. Thats pretty much all they do.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2009, 12:44:16 PM »
Goddamn you guys are smart. I can't even bring myself to read all that, but it looks legit. I agree.  :thumbup:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

duncvis

« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2009, 12:57:17 PM »
cultural genocide would imply a) that we have a distinct culture, and that b) there is a deliberate attempt to extinguish it. so it is still bollocks, and the inclusion of the emotive term 'genocide' invites a deliberate comparison with the slaughter of millions. so yes, it is hysterical. And I already know what the term 'cultural genocide' means, ta - do you?
So ways of thinking, behaving, acting and so on are not parts of culture.

As for the millions of people - yes there are probably millions of people on the spectrum leading some pretty miserable lives thanks to society. There are also quite a fair few killing themselves as a result - might want to include that into your calculations.

We have no uniformly distinct ways of thinking, behaving, acting and so on - I like the expression someone used, 'if you've met one aspie, you've seen... one aspie'. we have no shared belief, heritage, way of life, etc, which would fairly be characterised as culture. All we share are some coping mechanisms and difficulties/differences in cognition and sensory processing. Hardly a culture.
When someone gets around to defining Aspie properly it would be more easier to show a culture. But if you want an example - think at how much easily Aspies have been able to get to grip with computers - maybe its because it was Aspie's by and large who came up with the logic etc structure. However there are more subtle ones - I can usually tell who in the room is on the spectrum and often get confirmed as right.

*bangs head on desk*

And I see you completely ignored addressing the word 'deliberate', even if one were to accept at face value the prospect of millions of miserable autistics, whose misery were caused by society and not in part by the difficulties posed by their disability in acheiving their personal objectives (e.g. romance, sustainable employment).
The disability is society.

Bollocks.
Also:
And I see you completely ignored addressing the word 'deliberate'

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2009, 01:00:20 PM »
Cultural genocide? Care to elaborate?
I don't really have time to write an essay, but I am happy to sketch it out. Essentially what we have here is a group of people (ourselves) are forced to behave in a certain manner that we would otherwise would not by NT society and their bullying / browbeating. I really don't need to go further, I am sure Lit will be more direct here.

Do you know what "genocide" means?
Tibet.

Try again.
Check out what "cultural genocide" means - its different to plain vanilla "genocide".

OK. Let's use Wikipedia's definition:

Cultural genocide is a term used to describe the deliberate destruction of the cultural heritage of a people or nation for political, military, religious, ideological, ethnical, or racial reasons.

Care to try again? Or explain why you think there is a *deliberate* action going on to destroy our "cultural heritage". Then explain what our cultural heritage is.

You're not going to be taken seriously unless you can demonstrate at least a basic coherency here, you know.
The $1 billion which Bush signed off on for Autism research was not done for political reasons? There are of course other examples - remember every place has its politics, even a classroom. But if you want a religious example - look at for example the "Prayer for Autism" online group, or possibly the Jett Travolta stuff (though in the latter case we can't be sure).

"Political reasons" does not equal "deliberate destruction".

I notice how you avoided the part about "cultural heritage". Wise, because we don't have a cultural heritage.

Try again.

- Albert Einstein

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2009, 02:03:01 PM »
A rebel looking for a cause?
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...