Author Topic: sensory deprivation  (Read 421 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
sensory deprivation
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:51:27 PM »
anyone else really enjoy it?   I  I can't live without an hour  or two a day my wife thinks I am nuts but I find it so relaxing more so than sleep
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: sensory deprivation
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 04:14:53 PM »
Hmmm ...

I don't think I have ever found any, but not from lack of searching.

The closest I ever seem to get is a "back to nature"  romp.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 06:35:45 PM »
I would love to hit on the lotto and buy one of those isolation tanks or add-on and build a secret room.

I spent alot of time in the closet when I was younger, now I hide in the basement or a dark bedroom for awhile when I can. Probably the only thing that keeps me sane.

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 07:32:15 PM »
anyone else really enjoy it?   I  I can't live without an hour  or two a day my wife thinks I am nuts but I find it so relaxing more so than sleep

What exactly do you do Parts?

I keep meaning go do a floatation tank session. Sometimes I stick the ol' headphones on and listen to meditation cd's.   :meditate:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 01:10:17 PM »
I don't have a tank but would love one :)  For now what I do is lay down in a dark quiet room with ear plugs.  Also under covers  with pillows all around me and over my head and my weighted blanket on me.  I blot out everything and try and think about nothing at all

George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 06:28:10 PM »

no cameras!!!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 06:44:07 PM »

George Bernard Shaw

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 11:25:09 AM »
I don't have a tank but would love one :)  For now what I do is lay down in a dark quiet room with ear plugs.  Also under covers  with pillows all around me and over my head and my weighted blanket on me.  I blot out everything and try and think about nothing at all

WOW. Sounds relaxing as hell. Its kind of weird that aspies like us consider death-like states comforting, but ehh.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 08:17:09 AM »
WOW. Sounds relaxing as hell. Its kind of weird that aspies like us consider death-like states comforting, but ehh.
:lol:
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 04:57:08 PM »

I have deafening tinitus, earplugs would be hell.
I like trance-enducing music. Drones, anything "psychedelic", progressive/ambient electronica etc help me drift. :nicegear:
it's annoying though, when I'm trying to analyse a track and my mind keeps wondering, forcing several replays.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 05:07:23 PM »

Make sure you aren't wearing a hat when you listen.

Hats fuck up your natural abilities in many ways.

Sorry to hear about your tinnitus. That SuX!

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 05:25:12 PM »

Make sure you aren't wearing a hat when you listen.

Hats fuck up your natural abilities in many ways.

Sorry to hear about your tinnitus. That SuX!

Don't wear hats.

The tinnitus comes and goes, it seems when I notice it it takes over more. Of course it becomes more noticeable in quiet environs. It's a meditation in itself to ignore it, which does alleviate it.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 06:02:36 PM »

I probably should have some degree of tinnitus, due to all my history of rock-N-fucking-roll, gun play, sea diving, accidents to my head, but I have been lucky. I have lost some of my upper range of hearing, though.

I've known guys with serious tinnitus who were almost deaf when things got really quiet, but could hear OK-ish when in a loud environment like a rock stage.

I don't have a parallel understanding, but I can almost imagine what it would be like. I think of all the distractions I deal with at work as a "rining in my ears"  which I have to constantly, physically, purposefully ignore, while I try to concentrate on what my job requires.

*empathy*

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 12:58:28 AM »
Dark quiet room, no ear plugs for me but I have my blanket on. Soft surroundings, comfortable all over and then I go to sleep. The ultimate sensory deprivation. I can only do this during the day though, at night I get tics and they keep me awake for a while.

I would like to try a sensory deprivation tank, it would be interesting to see whether I could cope with it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae