Author Topic: dead TV set  (Read 1576 times)

P7PSP

Re: dead TV set
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 11:31:52 PM »
That must have sucked for your friend, 35" still cost a bit of money.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 07:58:30 AM »
Tried again.  Could see a little bit of snow on a blank channel, as if the brightness had been turned down.  Then I went back to the video input and turned on the DVD player.  I could tell that it had loaded the start menu, but barely.  What's left of the image is visible through red and blue stripes over mostly black.  I only saw those after turning up the volume.  (Volume affecting picture, so definitely something messed up.)  At this point, I'm convinced it's time to get rid of it.  I'll need to find a recycler.

So, for a while at least, I guess I'll just have to do without.  I find myself prioritizing to see if there is a reasonable way to fix this.  I've considered everything including looking for a used one at the local Salvation Army (and possibly bringing home a fire hazard).  Most likely I'll just bite the bullet and get a low-end HDTV.

I am assuming that you left the TV unplugged for long enough to discharge the capacitor and you tried replacing the cable?

If so, then it is probably not cost effective to fix it, although you could call a repair shop to make sure.

We have one old TV set we repaired and it still works fine, but the repair cost a significant part of what a new set would have cost and you want a HDTV anyway.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 08:48:50 AM »
I've pretty much decided I will soon do my little part to help the ailing economy, and drop about $400 on a new HDTV.  I've already ordered an HDMI cable for it.  If it'll fit in the cubbyhole in my entertainment center, I'll get the 26" Toshiba.  (The HD-DVD player is a Toshiba, so matching brands look better.  Also, Toshiba has a feature it calls "DynaLight", which varies the backlighting to match dark scenes, a good idea if you watch alot of space movies.)  I've had the HD-DVD player for a year now, and accumulated about 20 HD-DVDs in a collection of some 250 to 300 movies and TV shows, mostly regular DVDs but also a few VHS and LaserDisc, and I haven't even gotten to watch the HD-DVDs in high-def yet.  So, as soon as I get my tax return, I'm off to the store.

As for the old TV.  It's been unplugged for several days now.  I'll plug it in and try it out one more time.  If it works, it's going to the local Salvation Army.  If it doesn't work, it's going to a recycler.  (The local free daily recently gave times and places for electronics recycling drives.  I've accumulated a bit of e-waste in addition to the TV, including a couple of dead computers I've had for about 10 years.)

I'll be sure to get one with at least two HDMI ports, because I figure I'll be wanting to add a Blu-Ray player to the system sometime within the next year.  Fortunately, Blu-Ray players are getting cheaper.  I've been using Amazon to get HD-DVD disks (now that they're long-gone from the stores), and noticed Blu-Ray disks are about even in price range through Amazon's secondary merchants.

Another option I considered was getting a large computer monitor and integrating the computer and entertainment systems.  Problem is, that would complicate the audio part.  (I'd have to get a separate amp and speakers.)  I wouldn't be able to work on the computer while listening to a show on the side.  And I wouldn't have a tuner to get digital broadcasts.  So that option is most likely out.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 08:49:50 AM »
NO! TV MUST DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 01:44:46 AM »
I think my TV has kicked the bucket.

It hadn't been used in several days (I was out of town.), and when I turned it on tonight, I got sound but no picture.  The only thing that appeared on the screen was an occasional patch of blue static, but mostly black.  I tried everything I could think of (unplugging it for a while, trying to open menus on the remote, tuning it to a blank channel, etc.) with no results.  I've been using it only as a monitor for the DVD player.  Haven't watched cable or broadcast with it in years, so it's not the reception.

I've had that set (a 20" GE) since 1991.  I've been tempted to replace it with a basic 22" or 26" HDTV, and unless there's a way to get it working, now's as good an excuse as any.  The aforementioned DVD player is actually an HD-DVD player, so what the hell.

Anyone got any ideas?

Since 1991? Pretty decent for a shitty ass GE television
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:48:40 AM by Beatle »
Park.

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 01:50:23 AM »
I've pretty much decided I will soon do my little part to help the ailing economy, and drop about $400 on a new HDTV.  I've already ordered an HDMI cable for it.  If it'll fit in the cubbyhole in my entertainment center, I'll get the 26" Toshiba.  (The HD-DVD player is a Toshiba, so matching brands look better.  Also, Toshiba has a feature it calls "DynaLight", which varies the backlighting to match dark scenes, a good idea if you watch alot of space movies.)  I've had the HD-DVD player for a year now, and accumulated about 20 HD-DVDs in a collection of some 250 to 300 movies and TV shows, mostly regular DVDs but also a few VHS and LaserDisc, and I haven't even gotten to watch the HD-DVDs in high-def yet.  So, as soon as I get my tax return, I'm off to the store.

As for the old TV.  It's been unplugged for several days now.  I'll plug it in and try it out one more time.  If it works, it's going to the local Salvation Army.  If it doesn't work, it's going to a recycler.  (The local free daily recently gave times and places for electronics recycling drives.  I've accumulated a bit of e-waste in addition to the TV, including a couple of dead computers I've had for about 10 years.)

I'll be sure to get one with at least two HDMI ports, because I figure I'll be wanting to add a Blu-Ray player to the system sometime within the next year.  Fortunately, Blu-Ray players are getting cheaper.  I've been using Amazon to get HD-DVD disks (now that they're long-gone from the stores), and noticed Blu-Ray disks are about even in price range through Amazon's secondary merchants.

Another option I considered was getting a large computer monitor and integrating the computer and entertainment systems.  Problem is, that would complicate the audio part.  (I'd have to get a separate amp and speakers.)  I wouldn't be able to work on the computer while listening to a show on the side.  And I wouldn't have a tuner to get digital broadcasts.  So that option is most likely out.

Don't get a blu-ray player get a ps3 instead! PS3's are cheaper have blu ray and have more functions than just a blue ray player.
Park.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 08:45:16 AM »

Don't get a blu-ray player get a ps3 instead! PS3's are cheaper have blu ray and have more functions than just a blue ray player.

That's just sad, considering how its under performing in sales as it is, imagine how many people bought it just to play blu-ray discs. Doesn't look so good for games sales then.

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 11:28:16 AM »
If you have a problem television and no one else can help and if you can find them maybe you can hire a television. 

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 02:40:53 PM »

Actually, don't. PS3's suck at scaling up ordinary DVDs.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 09:12:17 PM »
You should plug it in with an extension cord get it to have at least some snow on it then toss it out a second floor window >:D
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 11:51:19 PM »

You can get a separate player with an upscalar reasonably cheap these days.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 04:08:03 PM »

And a Blu-Ray player that offers better quality for both media cheaper than a PS3.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 04:16:29 PM »

And a Blu-Ray player that offers better quality for both media cheaper than a PS3.

... or what if you would not want to be caught DEAD with a gaming system of any kind?

(I actually heard a guy (much younger than I) say that to one of the sales people a couple of weeks ago ...  :D)

We were selling the Samsung BDP1500 (it's a decent one!) for two hundred bucks last week and we have an LG, internal PC drive (only reads BD, reads and writes all the other media types) for one hundred ten!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 04:20:47 PM »
Do you know how the Samsung performs with ordinary DVDs? I'm thinking about getting a Samsung but I don't know which one. I'd buy a Sony but they are evil.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Do you know how the Samsung performs with ordinary DVDs? I'm thinking about getting a Samsung but I don't know which one. I'd buy a Sony but they are evil.

There's really a hell of a lot to your question and I don't have the answer.

My guess is that an entry level BDP would piss you off, in the long run.  If you went with one of the higher grade Blu-Ray players right now you would probably be much happier in the future, mainly because of the new features already being incorporated into the disk media (the format is rapidly changing, still - most of the lower priced ones are version 1.0 or 1.1, but Blu-ray is now on version 2.0. If you bought a BDP last year, you can't play the new discs without a firmware update ...   :zombiefuck:).

As far as standard definition DVD performance, your question is one I have been trying to answer for several months for myself. I can see a huge difference (playing a standard DVD, upscaled) when using a monitor with 1080P native res, 120Hz refresh rate, but not so much with a standard 1080P, 60Hz or 75hz refresh rate monitor.

If you are talking about how well one upscales output compared to the others, I really have not seen anyone do any conclusive testing in this area, which is of major concern for us with huge, existing DVD collections.
(I wonder if one of the HT/AV forums might have some info?  HHhhmmmm.)

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.