Author Topic: dead TV set  (Read 1575 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
dead TV set
« on: December 28, 2008, 09:26:20 PM »
I think my TV has kicked the bucket.

It hadn't been used in several days (I was out of town.), and when I turned it on tonight, I got sound but no picture.  The only thing that appeared on the screen was an occasional patch of blue static, but mostly black.  I tried everything I could think of (unplugging it for a while, trying to open menus on the remote, tuning it to a blank channel, etc.) with no results.  I've been using it only as a monitor for the DVD player.  Haven't watched cable or broadcast with it in years, so it's not the reception.

I've had that set (a 20" GE) since 1991.  I've been tempted to replace it with a basic 22" or 26" HDTV, and unless there's a way to get it working, now's as good an excuse as any.  The aforementioned DVD player is actually an HD-DVD player, so what the hell.

Anyone got any ideas?

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: dead TV set
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 10:24:54 PM »
Get a new TV set or take it in to get it fixed and see what happens.

P7PSP

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 10:56:48 PM »
If you have an informal range area nearby take out your guns and shoot the shit out of it. :headbang2:

Online Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 07:24:58 AM »
If you have an informal range area nearby take out your guns and shoot the shit out of it. :headbang2:

I was thinking the same thing :laugh:   New TV's are not consumer friendly in the repair department and there is a real hazard of eclectic  shock even when unplugged and  the cost of having it done is prohibitive.  I put a brick through the screen of one before and took out another with an ax :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 07:31:47 AM »
Reminds me of a certain scene from Office Space.  :)

I eventually wanted to get a new TV with high-def, but not like this.  (Either use credit or wait for my tax return.)  Aggravations come in clusters.  I'm also dealing with electrical problems in my car.  That's going to the shop probably this afternoon.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 09:24:59 AM »
Yeah, get a new TV. Repairing the old one just wont be cost effective seeing as you are considering going to HDTV soon.

We just replaced our old 27" CRT SDTV with a 50" Plasma Full HDTV  :worship: :drool:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 01:29:40 PM »
The law here is now requiring we all recycle our TVs.

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 02:36:57 PM »
The law here is now requiring we all recycle our TVs.

That sounds like a good idea, I wish I could do that.  When I play with the volume, it changes the channel sometimes.  My xbox doesn't play cds quite right either, and my playstation is a used piece of shit.  The playstation does work, just not all the time.
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 03:34:06 PM »
You can recycle what remains AFTER you put an ax through it. :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 05:44:40 PM »
Tried again.  Could see a little bit of snow on a blank channel, as if the brightness had been turned down.  Then I went back to the video input and turned on the DVD player.  I could tell that it had loaded the start menu, but barely.  What's left of the image is visible through red and blue stripes over mostly black.  I only saw those after turning up the volume.  (Volume affecting picture, so definitely something messed up.)  At this point, I'm convinced it's time to get rid of it.  I'll need to find a recycler.

So, for a while at least, I guess I'll just have to do without.  I find myself prioritizing to see if there is a reasonable way to fix this.  I've considered everything including looking for a used one at the local Salvation Army (and possibly bringing home a fire hazard).  Most likely I'll just bite the bullet and get a low-end HDTV.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 07:15:23 PM »
Unplug the thing and drive a stake through its motherboard. TV MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Hiphop Grandma

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 09:00:58 PM »
Actually, I still have the TV I had from 1985, but it's retired and sitting in the closet at the moment. I'll eventually either donate it or stick it in the ground and bury it.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 11:35:38 PM »
Switch cables so you're sure you don't just have a bad cable, probably bit the dust though.

I really hate my fugly old console TV, it's crapped out twice already, both times something stupid, one time it was a cable, and the other the selector box for the game consoles, damn thing just won't die.  :P

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 06:18:47 PM »
We had a TV when I was 16 and it didn't even last us a year when we got it. The picture started to go out within a few months. My dad took it in one day to get it fixed but the guy just threw it out and told him it was cheaper to buy a new TV set than having it fixed because it would cost more.

Offline Hiphop Grandma

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 07:16:13 PM »
I worked in a repair shop before, and that's they'll tell you. I had to help a friend throw out a 35" tv because it was fucked and too expensive to fix.