Educational

Author Topic: Are toys getting lame?  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: Are toys getting lame?
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2009, 12:46:16 PM »
Baby-proofing is cowardly.  :(

Baby-proofing your house is sanity-saving if you have an inquisitive baby, but you shouldn't baby-proof the entire planet.

Puppy-proofing a house is also sanity-saving, especially when they're teething and would love to have a good chew on any loose electrical cables.  I also removed all the foxgloves from the garden when Waggy was teething, since she was chewing any plant that found itself in front of her nose.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »
Baby-proofing is cowardly.  :(

Baby-proofing your house is sanity-saving if you have an inquisitive baby, but you shouldn't baby-proof the entire planet.

Puppy-proofing a house is also sanity-saving, especially when they're teething and would love to have a good chew on any loose electrical cables.  I also removed all the foxgloves from the garden when Waggy was teething, since she was chewing any plant that found itself in front of her nose.

Lord kittens are even worse, because they can climb and get into things you didn't think were possible. Plus if it smells good, they'll lick. One of my cats almost cut the tip of their tongue off doing that. And my scottish kilt cat likes to hide shiny stuff. To save an explanation, a scottish kilt is a munchkin/scottish folt mix.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2009, 02:55:44 PM »
My apartment is already baby proofed. I hardly have any breakable things.

That's a really good start.

What about power outlets?

Do you have any stairs or houseplants?

Do you have any blind or curtain cords that would be within a baby's reach?

Are cleaning materials stored under the kitchen or bathrom sinks where a baby could get to them?  If so, do you have cabinet locks for these doors?

No to them all but I have a green bean plant but it's on the table. The pot is plastic and the curtains are pretty high up but a toddler could reach them.

My mother didn't have locks on the cabinets, she just watched us. She probably had them put up in a high place. I heard some people put a poison sticker on items so their child knows it isn't food but you have to teach them what the sticker means. I don't remember getting into the stuff under the sink or anywhere else but I helped myself to the fridge and to the pantry where my my mother kept the food.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2009, 03:04:03 PM »

That's a really good start.

What about power outlets?

Do you have any stairs or houseplants?

Do you have any blind or curtain cords that would be within a baby's reach?

Are cleaning materials stored under the kitchen or bathrom sinks where a baby could get to them?  If so, do you have cabinet locks for these doors?

No to them all but I have a green bean plant but it's on the table. The pot is plastic and the curtains are pretty high up but a toddler could reach them.

My mother didn't have locks on the cabinets, she just watched us. She probably had them put up in a high place. I heard some people put a poison sticker on items so their child knows it isn't food but you have to teach them what the sticker means. I don't remember getting into the stuff under the sink or anywhere else but I helped myself to the fridge and to the pantry where my my mother kept the food.

My mom didn't have cabinet locks either, but I did.  You're right that it's no substitute for watching the baby, though. 

It would just slow them down a little from danger for those moments when you are distracted by the phone ringing or something.

I ate nearly a whole bottle of baby aspirins, which I got from the highest shelf in the upper cabinet when I was little.  I was a climber.

TheoK

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2009, 03:05:52 PM »
I was a climber too. It's brave to be a climber.  8)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2009, 03:10:48 PM »

What kind? Just rock climbing or did you tackle something serious?
I will never stop...

TheoK

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2009, 03:13:11 PM »

What kind? Just rock climbing or did you tackle something serious?

I climbed indoors when I was a baby.  ;)

We don't have mountains high enough for serious climbing where I live.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2009, 03:14:49 PM »
Oh lol. I took my crib apart. Like disassembled it.
I will never stop...

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »
They are, but I come up with knew ones as the days goes on. >:D

Its my mind, its turning out to the one of the bigger toys.

I would drop playing with it for a few just to get sex.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:19:00 PM by ALLDAYGLOWRANDY »
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »
My mother told me I took my things apart when I was a baby.

Offline Coral

• Cool Dude of the Aspie Elite
  • Constant Poster
  • Coral
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »
I put one of those plastic safety 1st gates in my son's doorway of his bedroom and he climbed it in no time when he was a little older than 1. I had to put another gate on top of that to keep him in. His bedroom was at the top of a long staircase so climbing the gate and escaping was totally unsafe! He looked like a little prisoner hanging on the lower gate screaming to get out when he figured out he couldn't scale the double gate door I made for him. In hindsight it's pretty funny so see a little guy in his fuzzy romper clinging to the gate and screaming "me out!".  Wish I could do that now, but a ten year old just wouldn't be funny!... or would it??? ;)
Alldayglowrandy turned out to be the bravest guy ever & my hero. A warrior until the end may he finally have peace

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2009, 09:21:16 PM »
We just gated off the hallways leading to our stairs.  In the place we had when our daughter learned to walk, the stairs going upstairs had no risers and they were directly over the stairs going to the basement, which would have been a significant fall had she gone through the gaps and fallen.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2009, 09:30:40 PM »
Are you having babies or just bringing them home?

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2009, 03:11:16 AM »
I want to have a baby but never got pregnant yet. I decided to wait till marriage to try again. I have a wedding dress picked out and I don't want it to get small.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2009, 03:15:34 AM »
I put one of those plastic safety 1st gates in my son's doorway of his bedroom and he climbed it in no time when he was a little older than 1. I had to put another gate on top of that to keep him in. His bedroom was at the top of a long staircase so climbing the gate and escaping was totally unsafe! He looked like a little prisoner hanging on the lower gate screaming to get out when he figured out he couldn't scale the double gate door I made for him. In hindsight it's pretty funny so see a little guy in his fuzzy romper clinging to the gate and screaming "me out!".  Wish I could do that now, but a ten year old just wouldn't be funny!... or would it??? ;)

I remember my parents having a toddler gate in my doorway of my bedroom. It was to keep me from leaving my room and falling down the stairs. I have fallen down them a few times so my parents always kept a gate in my doorway so I wouldn't leave my room if I woke up.

But I started to kick it out one day. I lied down and kept kicking it till it fell over. One day it fell on me and my dad woke up and I cried. I don't think my brother was born yet when it happened.