Author Topic: Parents treating their adult kids like children  (Read 434 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Parents treating their adult kids like children
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 09:08:45 AM »
It has happened again. My mother treated me like a child.

We were watching Goldeneye and my dad was clueless about the movie even though he has seen it before. He was asking questions about it like which one is the bad girl and when does she die. I tell him about Xenia. I tell him she loves killing people and she is a sadist. She loves torturing them and she has an orgasm because she yells "yes yes" and my mother asks me am I so obsessed with sex or just curious about it. I ask her "Grown ups don't talk like this?" She tells me it was socially inappropriate. So I was given a lecture about how innaproppriate it is to talk about sex like that and it's vulgar, socially inappropriate, and if there were other people in the room, she would be very embarrassed for me. Sure she told me two years ago it's innaproppriate to make jokes about sex but this time I didn't. I talked about it explaining to my father about Xenia.
I am 23 and my mother still corrects me about my behavior. This is something you do to a child. I pointed it out to my mother and she said "You were being a child" and told me I sometimes say very vulgar things...

My guess is that your mom saw that you talking about Xenia's orgasms was embarrassing your dad, so she wanted to stop you.

Did you notice whether your dad's face was red while you were talking?

Milla has a good point about people being more open in talking about sex now, but maybe sex is uncomfortable for your parents to discuss with you because you are their child.

No matter how old you are, you will always be their child. 

And last night, she is talking on the phone as I am watching Home Alone video game walk through on youtube and she is talking to my brother who is now 18 and out of her house. She is still telling him to come home at a certain time and he is here for the Thanksgiving week and leaves tomorrow (Sunday). I thought my brothers were leaving Saturday but no I found out they were leaving the next day. He doesn't live with here anymore because he lives an hour away now because he is in college and my mother is still giving him curfews when he is here.

Parents won't stop caring about their children, no matter how old they are, as long as they live.  My parents tried to do the same thing to me when I came home from college.  I thought that they were just trying to control me by setting a curfew the same as before I went to college.  I told my mom that it was ridiculous for them to set a curfew because I could stay out all night long if I wanted to in college, but my mom explained that when I was home they wanted to know what time I would be home because they couldn't really sleep if they were waiting for me.  So we compromised with a later time but I would call if I was going to be substantially later than that, not because I was a child who still needed to get her parent's permisision to stay out late, but because I was a considerate guest who did not want her hosts to stay awake worrying about her.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 01:03:01 PM »
No I didn't see anything about my dad because I wasn't looking at him. I was looking at the movie.

P7PSP

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 04:02:39 AM »
I trained my mother out of that when I was 22. I politely but firmly let her know that after 4 years in the military I wasn't her little boy.

Offline Pissgai

• King of The Damned
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Button Pusher
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 01:33:32 PM »
I'm going to sue you now! :'(

His favourite catchphrase other than "Hello, internet".
I'm here to fuck you up. :P

Member of the Triumvirate.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 01:43:57 PM »
So pea, ever get that solicitor's letter? :laugh: