Author Topic: Forrest J Ackerman dead at 92  (Read 748 times)

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
Forrest J Ackerman dead at 92
« on: December 05, 2008, 11:30:04 PM »
For those of us who are involved in any way in SF fandom, this is a sad day.  Without Forrest J Ackerman--"Forry" to everyone he met--SF fandom would be a shadow of what it is. Yeah, you can talk all you want about George Lucas, Gene Roddenberry, Steven Spielberg, etc. but without Forry most of those guys never would have heard about SF, let alone known how to tap into SF fandom.  He was into SF when it was just crank literature, fit only for neurasthenics, longhairs and other head cases. Yeah, I know I'm coming off like Harlan Ellison here, but goddamnit, even Unca' Harlan has to tip his cap to Forry. He was there at the beginning, with the other giants in the field--Heinlein, Gernsback, Campbell, deCamp, Smith.  He was their cheerleader, their champion--truly their biggest fan.

Forry was the greatest champion SF has ever had. Anyone lucky enough to take the grand tour of the Forrymansion and see such sights as his replicas of the robots from METROPOLIS and FORBIDDEN PLANET can attest personal witness to that fact. As to the rest of us, who only knew him from his on-screen appearances or FAMOUS MONSTERS magazine, we knew he was the real thing. He was SF fandom before anyone knew what that was--before STAR TREK/WARS, and about the same time as the original FLASH GORDON and BUCK ROGERS.

God Bless You, Mr Ackerman. And may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:31:56 PM by wankdrew »
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Forrest J Ackerman dead at 92
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 08:07:15 AM »

Indeed a great loss.

Thanks for making our little rock a larger place, Forry (No, I never met him).

RIP
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

P7PSP

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 04:50:41 AM »
In that case RIP Mr Ackerman. I never heard of him prior to this but I am a Sci Fi fan.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 07:59:02 AM »
who invented slash?
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 03:50:08 PM »
 :'(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 04:05:53 PM »
who invented slash?

The guitar player for G&R?

???
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 07:05:19 PM »
i mean kirk/spock slash and data/geordi slash... and luke/leia twincest slash and other cool slash :P just wonder if that person's dead.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

duncvis

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 12:58:15 PM »
cool slash is an oxymoron. other than the Slash Dawg mentioned.  :headbang2:

TheoK

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 02:15:36 PM »
Ze Romans didn't use any interpunction at all, because they were BRAVE:arrr:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 03:30:45 PM »
Their lack of commas put a full stop to them.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 04:03:13 PM »
"And when the cult of Christianity poisoned the world and started to persuade people into believing that it was something wrong with killing yourself, the tyrants immediately imprisoned this people, and the heroes of the world soon became its toys."

- Marquis de Sade

:(

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 06:26:32 PM »
Not having zero in their number system didn't help, either. Bread and circuses, however, were their real downfall. Left them wide open to barbarians and Christianity.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

TheoK

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 06:31:58 PM »
But they were brave!  :arrr:

P7PSP

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 08:11:29 PM »
Forrest Ackerman was also brave! :arrr: Here's a titty flash in honor of Ackerman. :boobs: