Educational

Author Topic: Interface on my site  (Read 476 times)

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Interface on my site
« on: October 18, 2008, 12:07:04 AM »
The site still has a lot of work, and a guy on WP told sent me this:

Unfortunately, your front page (and I guess the others are much the same) doesn't display quite right, in Seamonkey (what I normally use), Firefox or Konqueror (all of which adhere pretty closely to W3C standards). The display seems to be "correct" in Opera and IE, but that's not actually true.

They all interpret your main table's 'height="768" ... background="minibg3.jpg"' to mean "repeat this background every 768 pixels down the table". Strictly speaking, you are not allowed to specify the height of a table, which might make a mess if the contents of the table's contents don't fit in that space.

Where Opera and IE seem to get it right, it is purely because they employ "Times New Roman" as their default font. If you change the font to, say, "Arial Black" (in Internet Options/ General/ Fonts), you can see the problem.

Also, strictly speaking, in HTML 4.01, only the "body" element is allowed to specify the attribute "background". CSS is the preferred method of doing this sort of thing.

Oh. And a matter of "style". The links at the top of your pages to "Blog" and "Discussion Board" take you off your root site... which makes them a bit inconsistent. I'm not certain what is the best way to make that clear - maybe they should each open a new window? (At least for "Blog", though you may choose to provide a link back from the board to the root.)

Ah... I just ran the WAI accessibility test, and it also doesn't like having no titles, but it further complained because the language (english) isn't specified.

Oh... and I have to say I'm not at all a fan of fixed layouts. (Causing people with browsers less than 1024 wide to need to scroll sideways, and insisting those with wider screens to use only part of their screen's width. I.e. only someone who uses a full screen view on a 1024 wide monitor will be completely happy.)

Enough to be getting on with?

And what the fuck? I've never seen a problem with the layout in firefox or IE? does the background fuck up for you people? Because if it does I need to seriously reconsider the whole site.  Also I've been advised against making layouts that resize themselves, and I chose 1024 x 768 because most people have at least that.. (also no need to mention spelling and page names, he already did and I know they aren't there atm anyway)

www.aspergersgirl.com

My screen is huge and I don't have a probelm with the fixed size, i don't know what hes talking about there..
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 12:16:11 AM by Fiona »

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
Re: Interface on my site
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 12:16:06 AM »
Looks fine on my computer with IE. :-\
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 12:21:19 AM »
hmmm if you make the text bigger it does repeat...

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 01:13:25 AM »
Never mind I took the whole thing down.. going to redo it.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 05:14:04 AM »
I can't see anything wrong with it, but I use IE.

I changed my text size from the smallest to the largest and still had no problems.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 05:15:44 AM by Callaway »

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 05:58:50 AM »
I have a new home page up now.

I don't think the guy was trying to crush my spirit, but he really did. I just want to be good at something.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 06:06:28 AM »
Yeah, he could have been more encouraging towards the things that you did get right. Anyway, you have done good, you actually had an idea and put it to work. In my book, that makes it/you a success.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 06:29:44 AM »
Meh, that guy sounds like an pretentious ass anyway, especially with that last line IMO.

You're doing a fine job Fiona, I like how it looks so far.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 06:37:04 AM »
Meh, that guy sounds like an pretentious ass anyway, especially with that last line IMO.

Well the thing is I didn't even ask for his opinion.. would have been different if I had.. he also said more stuff which I cut out of the quote about problems with the site which I knew were there.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 06:59:19 AM »

Well the thing is I didn't even ask for his opinion.. would have been different if I had.. he also said more stuff which I cut out of the quote about problems with the site which I knew were there.

Well from the context of his message to you and your reaction to it, I figured that was the case. You're going to get those types on occasion, it's an inevitable factor of having a website. Although I just checked your message board, and it might be a good idea to add an extra forum section for 'Site Feedback' (you can call it whatever you like) on your message board, so users on your site can inform you on suggestions, opinions, problems, etc regarding your site. EDIT: I just saw that the "Ask Aspergers Girl" forum seems ideal for user feedback, disregard my suggestion unless you'd like to separate site questions, comment, etc; and questions to you in two forums. :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 07:13:33 AM by Nexus »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 08:04:06 AM »
Yes I think the feedback thing would be a good idea.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 09:39:10 AM »
I think it looks great Fiona. 

Links, Contact and Myths, all take me to: https://50webs.net/members/login.php

Do I have to be a member to view those sections?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 09:40:43 AM by Tesla »
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 01:47:11 PM »
I think the site looks great, Fiona. Never mind the jerk.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 07:25:24 PM »
Huh weird, you said on there you were diagnosed with AS as a teenager but I swore you said awhile ago you were 12 when diagnosed.  :-\

Your site looks fine and I also use I2 on my boyfriend's laptop.

I would just ignore the criticism. It was just one person. If more PM you complaining about the same thing, then I'd worry.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 07:34:40 PM »
servere = severe
suffers = sufferers
aspergers = Aspergers

I am being pedantic, never mind me.

I had no problem loading your page before, on either Firefox or IE. But now it looks even better. I like the theme you chose, I have not seen one like that before.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae