Author Topic: urban gardening  (Read 781 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
urban gardening
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:26:40 PM »
I took the afternoon off today, because one of my cats has a vet's appointment in about 45 minutes.  (I've got a vet who makes house calls, so I post this while killing time waiting.)

After cutting up a green bell pepper for lunch, I saved the seeds and put a few in a glass of water to see if they germinate.  Provided this isn't some kind of sterile hybrid green pepper (not unusual for grocery store produce), I'm going to see if I can raise my own.  Same with some squash that I plan to eat sometime this weekend, after I clean the roach crap out from under my stove.  If this works, then I might have a supply of produce on my balcony (which faces west and gets alot of the afternoon sun, and I'm in Florida so it's warm most of the year), and I can pick the vegetables only when ready to cook them.  Should be alot cleaner than what's in the produce section full of pesticides and in the open for all to sneeze on.

Anyone here ever tried that?

Got the idea a few weeks ago after rescuing a tree seedling from the landscaping waste at my volunteer job.  That one turned out to be a red maple, no practical value, not even ornamental since the things grow like weeds here.  Just growing that one for shits and giggles.  I'll save it for one day when I've actually got a yard to plant it in.  Rather mundane here in Florida, but if I end up moving a few hundred miles north to somewhere that has actual seasons, I understand it will turn a awesome fire-engine red in the autumn.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: urban gardening
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 12:48:18 PM »
I have a small garden now, and I have grown tomatoes, snow peas, and other vegetables in containers.  It can be done.

You will have to pick the vegetables pretty much when they are ready to be picked, but you will have some leeway with that.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:28:07 PM »
i grow my own food all the time, and i love it - such a sense of achievement, and it always tastes better (although that must be partly psychological, i'm sure).   :thumbup:

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:04:39 PM »
Since I'm on the second floor, I'd have to grow them in pots.  I'm under the assumption that they would quickly deplete the nutrients in the soil.  Got to read up on it.

BTW, the vet's appointment is over with.  This vet has an office set up inside a converted motorhome, so all I had to do was put the cat in the carrier and bring her down to the parking lot and into the van.  The cat was not too happy about it and clawed me a set of emo arms in the process.  I think she's still pissed.  (And to think I've done all I can to make it easy on this cat.  It's not like I had to load her in the car and take her several miles to the vet.)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 03:42:04 PM »

*basks in the pleasant glory of this threads' title*

I might post later.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:06:34 PM »
Here is a photo from the urban garden where I was working today  :o  It was right in front of the windows only about 5 feet from the side walk.  Who says you can't grow things in the big city :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 05:29:58 PM »
Here is a photo from the urban garden where I was working today  :o  It was right in front of the windows only about 5 feet from the side walk.  Who says you can't grow things in the big city :laugh:

Did you get any clippings?  :green:

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 09:51:51 PM »
Haha that is nice.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 01:07:00 AM »
Since I'm on the second floor, I'd have to grow them in pots.  I'm under the assumption that they would quickly deplete the nutrients in the soil.  Got to read up on it.

you just feed them once a week in the growing season.  i grow all the stuff in my greenhouse in pots, and so far, i've grown peppers, melons, cucumber, tomatoes, chillies, blueberries (christ, this is starting to sound like flo's daily medication list), lemons, figs, salad leaves, beetroot, garlic, olives...

more important is the size of the pot - it is a good idea to read up on that (depends on the root system).

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 03:18:32 AM »

Pity it's a male; they're not good for much beyond pollinating the females.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 09:18:06 AM »

In Kansas ditch weed would grow all over the place... a remnant of when hemp was a major cash crop before they outlawed it.

There would be huge patches of it, but none of it was fit to smoke.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 11:05:22 AM »
I put some of the green pepper seeds in butter tubs with potting soil, mixed it up, and watered it.  There are small slits at the bases of the butter tubs to keep it from getting saturated.  I don't know if it's going to work or even if it's the right time of the year, but all the materials were here so I decided what the hell.

As for that stuff Parts found.  I won't be needing any of that shit.  A drug raid is not something I care to experience.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 01:41:34 PM »
I put some of the green pepper seeds in butter tubs with potting soil, mixed it up, and watered it.  There are small slits at the bases of the butter tubs to keep it from getting saturated.  I don't know if it's going to work or even if it's the right time of the year, but all the materials were here so I decided what the hell.

As for that stuff Parts found.  I won't be needing any of that shit.  A drug raid is not something I care to experience.

a lot of commercial fruit is grown to be sterile, so don't be disappointed if they don't work.

on the other hand, if you want to grow coriander or potatoes or even garlic, you can use ordinary versions you buy to eat.  otherwise, get some seeds in a packet and grow them, cos that's what they're supposed to do.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »

In Kansas ditch weed would grow all over the place... a remnant of when hemp was a major cash crop before they outlawed it.

There would be huge patches of it, but none of it was fit to smoke.

Look to the root system in male plants - clip them mercilessly (avoiding formation of pistols) to their barest leaf flush for survival, while pumping them full of  K - heavy compounds. It makes great tea from a totally different set of isomers.
:headbang:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 03:06:29 PM »

Precisely. 
Buy fresh seeds in the late winter and start again. Even if these seeds are fertile, they may not produce the fruit you expect, since they are most likely hybridised.

Doing a bit of research before you buy seeds, you can choose the varieties which are known as  "heirloom"  varieties. These varieties produce fruit with fertile seeds, which are worth the effort to save for the next planting season. This type of seed will grow into plants which are fertile, stable in their genetic structure and will produce many succeeding generations of fruitful plenty.

If you have saved hot peppers, they could be fine, but sweet peppers are an abomination of nature and may not be productive. If you want sweet peppers, buy seeds or seedling plants.