Educational

Author Topic: Nineties music  (Read 674 times)

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
Re: Nineties music
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 11:52:23 AM »
Meh 90s music was ok.    I don't see any real grunge posted in here.   No Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc.    I am too lazy to post YT vids of those bands, but that is what I listened to for a while.   Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Nirvana were the first bands I started learning on guitar (along with Metallica eventually when I got better).   I remember when I thought Kurt Cobain was a decent guitarist lol.   Man was I wrong, that guy was shit.

No, he just wrote simple pop songs.
He was terrible when I saw him live, this was back when I was 15 (1993).   He had Pat Smear do the majority of the guitar work live due to him being sloppy and off time in general.   The Breeders were the opening act and someone actually threw a shoe at Kim lol.   Nirvana did well only because Dave Grohl was a really good drummer and held things down.   This made Kurt look bad as he wasn't on time during the first two songs and the soundman eventually turned down his guitar and raised the volume on Pat Smear.   It was pathetic.

Rofl, again not a bad guitarist, just smacked out of his head.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 12:19:36 PM »
Meh 90s music was ok.    I don't see any real grunge posted in here.   No Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc.    I am too lazy to post YT vids of those bands, but that is what I listened to for a while.   Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Nirvana were the first bands I started learning on guitar (along with Metallica eventually when I got better).   I remember when I thought Kurt Cobain was a decent guitarist lol.   Man was I wrong, that guy was shit.

He was terrible when I saw him live, this was back when I was 15 (1993).   He had Pat Smear do the majority of the guitar work live due to him being sloppy and off time in general.   The Breeders were the opening act and someone actually threw a shoe at Kim lol.   Nirvana did well only because Dave Grohl was a really good drummer and held things down.   This made Kurt look bad as he wasn't on time during the first two songs and the soundman eventually turned down his guitar and raised the volume on Pat Smear.   It was pathetic.

Then why was he always a bit sloppy?   He would hit open strings on accident and notes would ring out.   His distortion made it worse as it added sustain and made the flubbed notes even more obvious.   He was terrible.   I am sure he was smacked out of his head.    That isn't an excuse, as most musicians I have seen were fucked up on something while playing on stage.

Dimebag Darrell drank what looked like an entire litre of Crown Royal on stage when I saw Pantera play.    He did not fuck up once and his music is 100 times more demanding than anything Nirvana ever played (on drums, guitar and bass).    Him and his brother were machine like tight and his harmonic screams were perfect in pitch with Phil's high notes every time.   The guy could barely walk, he was so fucking drunk.   That didn't stop him from being an amazing guitar player that night.  Dime was a guitarist that could cleanly 2 hand tap without using a sock or anything to prevent accidental noise (open strings usually) being hit.    Dragonforce is an example of a band that fails in that regard live.    Eddie Van Halen, Dime, Vai, Satriani, do not need to use a sock/headband to properly tap out arpeggios.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 12:27:45 PM »

Then why was he always a bit sloppy?   He would hit open strings on accident and notes would ring out.   His distortion made it worse as it added sustain and made the flubbed notes even more obvious.   He was terrible.   I am sure he was smacked out of his head.    That isn't an excuse, as most musicians I have seen were fucked up on something while playing on stage.

Dimebag Darrell drank what looked like an entire litre of Crown Royal on stage when I saw Pantera play.    He did not fuck up once and his music is 100 times more demanding than anything Nirvana ever played (on drums, guitar and bass).    Him and his brother were machine like tight and his harmonic screams were perfect in pitch with Phil's high notes every time.   The guy could barely walk, he was so fucking drunk.   That didn't stop him from being an amazing guitar player that night.  Dime was a guitarist that could cleanly 2 hand tap without using a sock or anything to prevent accidental noise (open strings usually) being hit.    Dragonforce is an example of a band that fails in that regard live.    Eddie Van Halen, Dime, Vai, Satriani, do not need to use a sock/headband to properly tap out arpeggios.

It's also to do with the "i don't give a fuck, i'd rather be in bed right now" grunge aesthetic.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 10:49:57 PM »
Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Metallica
  ;D Those were what I listened to. Faith No More and Red Hot Chili Peppers as well.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 08:03:17 AM »
I was listning to S Club 7, Vengaboys, nsync and Spice Girls back then.  :zombiefuck:
Can't stand it now. You gotta be an 8-12-year-old girl to think that crap is music.
For some reason when you reach around 13 you come to awareness that boy bands really suck.

It was like that for me and the other girls at school once we all got into high school it was Eminem and rap music.
The only way music was cool was it it had a crap-load of profanity and than there would be the kids envying the kids who's parents let them blare that utter crap.

Than in grade 9 I finally became a Beatles fan  :headbang2: HELTER SKELTER
Dude, I fuckin' love bad music- boy bands, girl bands, and notstalgic pop shit like that are HILARIOUS imo.  What's good and bad is ridiculously subjective, and it's great to be able to cause ear-bleeding when musically pretentious wankers go on for hours and hours about their musical tastes.  I'd rather listen to boy bands than listen to someone rant about how horrible boy bands are any day.

it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 08:13:50 AM »
The Offspring! "Smash" was THE punk album of the 90s. Whatever happened to make them so shit after that? :(

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 01:17:59 PM »

It's also to do with the "i don't give a fuck, i'd rather be in bed right now" grunge aesthetic.
Fuck the aesthetics, that is for the shitty MTV trendster generation.   I want professional music performances, not lazy half assed shit.    Looks have mattered more since MTV, and style has taken over for substance way too much.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 01:22:48 PM »
Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Metallica
  ;D Those were what I listened to. Faith No More and Red Hot Chili Peppers as well.
Faith No More and RHCP were two of my favorites as well.    I love FNM's Angel Dust and RHCP I like just about all of their stuff up to Blood Sugar Sex Magik (not after that one though).   There are plenty of other bands I enjoyed from that era.   Mike Patton's work in Mr. Bungle is also ridiculous in addition to his stuff with FNM.   He is definitely a talented vocalist.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 01:27:54 PM »
The Offspring! "Smash" was THE punk album of the 90s. Whatever happened to make them so shit after that? :(
It was pop punk, they got even more poppy than Smash afterwards.   I did enjoy Smash admittedly.   Pennywise and NOFX are much better punk bands than the Offspring.   Rancid wasn't half bad either, though they were more ska.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 02:28:49 PM »
Linn Berggren from Ace of base was and still is REALLY hot!

The bloke in that group lives, or at least used to live, around a ten minute drive from me.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 02:40:21 PM »

The bloke in that group lives, or at least used to live, around a ten minute drive from me.

Do you mean the Nazi?

... Eikberg or something?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 03:03:43 PM »

Do you mean the Nazi?

... Eikberg or something?

Ekberg, yes. That's the one.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 02:11:06 PM »
The nineties gave us the likes of Tool, which is good in my book! :headbang2:

“Swamp Song” from the album ‘Undertow’ by Tool

My warning meant nothing.
You’re dancing in quicksand.
Why don’t you watch where you’re wandering?
Why don’t you watch where you’re stumbling?
You’re wading knee deep and going in.

This bog is thick and easy to get lost in.
‘Cause you’re a stupid, belligerent fucker.
cause you’re a dumb and belligerent fucker.
I hope it sucks you down. down...down...down...

And you may never come back again.

This bog is think and easy to get lost in.
‘Cause you’re a stupid, belligerent fucker.
cause you’re a dumb and belligerent fucker.
I hope it sucks you down. down...down...down...

I hope it sucks you, fucker, I hope it sucks you down.

Wandering, wandering, no one even invited you in.
You’re still stumbling, suffocate, suffocate,
Why don’t you get away?
Wandering around, who let you in?
No one even invited you in.
You’re still stumbling, suffocate, suffocate,
Why don’t you get out while you can?
No one told you to come!

And you may never come back again.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »
I was going to post a lyric, but this is what I got on a listing of titles I tried to search:

(pretty sure the song I want is from Weezer)

Edited to correct nonsense:  Why the fuck did I call them Dweezer?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 02:14:51 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 03:36:31 PM »

The nineties were defined to me by most of my friends in the music business giving up the fight (I was one of the first to die).

I continue to look for "my kind of music,"  though, and bands like Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers (yes, even this old sniffer still loves funkpunk) and a few otheres have kept me going.